Used 2005 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 152 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Is it held together with plastic screws?
By stephen3484

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

What a piece of junk. I have owned many cars (German and American) and this one is just awful. I have 21000 miles on it but it drives like there are 121000 miles on the clock. A/C problems; stereo has a mind of its own; creaks, rattles, and shakes; the windows have a mind of there own; the gas gauge is unreliable; the ABS doesn't work; the whole steering system is screwed up and the list goes on. The car has gotten to the point where the steering and lack of ABS have made it almost unsafe and definitely unsettling to drive.

Nice, supportive and relatively comfortable seats. Decent factory stereo; the center channel speaker is cool. Handles all right for a front wheel driver. Fold down rear seats. And that's it.

Great car, great price
By Sam

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

So far I love this car. It runs great and all the chicks dig it! I love all the automatic features and love the styling. It's my first European car and I must say, it blows my Honda Accord out of the water! The power is nice, but the turbo is a little tricky... but I managed to hit some nice speeds on the highway. Overall, I hope this car maintains its value in the long run!

Center console, auto dimming LCD display, turbo, rain sensor, trunk space, free maintenance for first 40K miles.

The fuel consumption computer is 2 mpg off on average, the temp guage is a little odd, and had the problem with the stall stutter and stopped engine during cold crank.

4th Time a Charm
By Ric

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I have now purchased my fourth Volvo. I own a 240 GL (each of my kids learned to drive in it) a V70 XC AWD (wife's) and an 850 GLT. Combined, I have over 550K miles on them all - and this isn't counting my first one, a 240 DL wagon which I put over 300K on as the kid mover car!! Now I own an S40 T5 AWD and it is the best Volvo I have ever had! If I am careful, I even get good gas mileage (around 29 mpg combined). It is fun to drive and a solid handling and feeling car. I anticipate putting lots of miles on this car like I have my other ones!

Available power, handling and Volvo safety/reliability.

Interior rear hump courtesy light, please bring it back!

Nice Car, but Unreliable
By chanachi

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Purchased this vehicle in May of 2004 - the new body style. Nice styling, interior, and ride. In my opinion, reliability has been poor. The car has less than 23K miles and has had problems with brakes (bad rotors) and engine (all intake valves replaced). Thankfully the vehicle was covered under the warranty. I would not recommend this car.

Styling, center console, quite enjoyable to drive.

Reliability - yikes!

2005 Volvo S40 T5 (6 speed man)
By jake

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is a fantastic driver with its perfect amount of power for its 6 speed manual transmission. I drive surface streets and freeway everyday to work and this car hands great through traffic in low speeds and really shines at high speeds. The turbo and 6 speed manual combo makes merging onto high speed freeways not just easy but a delight. I get complimented daily at it's appearance. Plenty of room for the entire family of 4. Trunk space is generous. I especially like how well the hood is tucked into the body design. I would suggest for your seating comfort to choose leather over T tech fabric. Just a note the sport suspension may be a little stiff for some peoples comfort but you reap the great benefits of it's smooth handling and cornering ability.

I really like the center console and the six disc cd changer. The duel climate control is very nice for my cold blooded wife. The rear spoiler is also a great feature.