Used 2005 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

TERRIBLE CAR
By Say no to Volvo

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This car has been nothing but trouble since the day I bought it. AC switches on/off and turns to heat in the middle of summer. You cannot even change the battery without having to tow it to the dealership and have them reset the computer. Now the starter is dead. I will never, ever buy a Volvo again. Stick with Honda (I had a Honda before this car). Volvo S40's don't hold their resale, either.

None

Too many to write. Maybe they should just start over.

No more Volvos for me
By Lucas Tam

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This is my first and last Volvo ever. Since I bought the car in 2005, it's been in the shop over 16 times for a variety of reasons: air bag malfunction, climate control issues, circuit boards frying, battery failures, remote not working, steering failure, etc. In fact, the car has been towed to the dealership 2 times since 2005! (And this was a brand new car). Never again am I going to buy an S40... and never again a Volvo!

Comfortable interior

Better software and mechanical build quality.

Not so good
By no good

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Was alright in the beginning. Then started having problems after a year or so. We have had multiple problems with the A/C and the heater. At least once a year we have had to deal with these issues. Just recently broke down 3 times in the past month. Definitely doesn't live up to all the hype of Volvos. Wouldn't recommend this car after the past month.

Dash, radio controls, heated seats

Computer controlling every aspect of the car, very short keyless range, A/C breaking down every summer, car suddenly dying multiple times

I like it!
By Dave

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I've had my Volvo for over three years now and still really enjoy it. I have driven it on the German Autobahn, and can say it drives better at 100mph than at 60 mph. With the 5-speed it accelerates adequately, with just enough power to feel in control during traffic merging situations. It handles well enough, but feels best when you just cruise along relaxing. In fact it is so comfortable I don't mind getting stuck in a traffic jam; the upgraded sound system is awesome. Climate/radio controls are adjusted with the one finger, without looking. This car does very well when the roads start getting slippery.

Unique exterior looks, intuitive climate/radio controls, comfort level.

Lube the seatbelt tensioner, it squeaks. Run on normal unleaded.

Great at first, all down hill
By Tony

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

When I purchased it it was great and reliable. Since then I've had the radio glitch which is very annoying. I've had the A/C repaired it stopped blowing cold air. I'm a 200 Lb. guy and the back of my seat where the lumbar support is snapped. I have the dynamic trim package which as the sport suspension not a very comfortable ride when you hit bumps in the road. I've had lowered cars ride more comfortable than this. My power door locks don't lock from the remote anymore. Now after almost 5 years I'm about to sell this car it was a good car but I wouldn't buy another Volvo.

Styling, acceleration, and fuel economy

Radio glitch, heated seats don't get very warm, key fob removable silver key doesn't secure inside the main fob anymore on both keys and this was from the beginning.