Used 2005 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Fun to drive!
By Britian

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm loving my volvo! I've had it for almost a year and 3 STRANGERS have asked me if they can hop in the front seat while I was pumping gas! What a car. It definitely turns heads and did I mention it was FUN TO DRIVE?!

The interior and exterior designs are just FABULOUS! Everyone comments on the sleek console and the storage space!

It does tend to FOG up! My only complaint.

An understated driving experience!
By Dooney

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I traded my 2001 Saab Viggen (awesome car, but costly repairs) on the T5 Automatic. While I don't feel the THRUST of the turbo Viggen, my Volvo S40 is more luxery and still packs a lot of power. I hear the 6speed manual is much faster - oh well. My experience so far is, this is a great car. I commute 30 miles daily, and the premium sound system (12-speakers) makes my ride very enjoyable. My wife and I bought this car because of Volvo's safety track record, and we want to start a family soon. This car is sporty enough for people in their late 20s, and sophisticated in a grown up kind of way at the same time. Other cars we considered were the 2006 VW Jetta (too big), Audi A4 (too much).

Slim center console, handling, manual geartronic shifting option, bi-xenon headlamps, sleek exterior design. There's not a lot of these on the road yet, and with the dynamic (sport) package you definitely turn some heads.

Not much suggested for improvements. Foot room is minimal between gas pedal and brake pedal. The car sucks down washer fluid like its gasoline. A bigger fuel tank would be nice. Also if you get the dynamic package you have to buy the longer exhaust pipes or they hide out under the rear bumper.

Never buy the S40
By SLara

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I have had problems with this car from day 1. Brakes screeching (very loud) when in reverse. Neighbors commented since it was a new car. Dealership would not believe me as they could not duplicate. Many trips to a local dealership where brakes and rotors were replaced (total of three times.) The car had to be slightly inclined to produce screeching. Front screeching started at about 6,000 miles. Had to have the car towed twice. Didn't want to drive it with the horrible noise. Dealership said it was not dangerous to drive. They tried filing rotors, etc. The car has spent at least about two months in the shop (on and off). Finally, recently got the car back with new brake pads. SELL

I like the style of the car.It is comfortable.

Fix the mechanical problems. I want to get rid of the car before the warranty is up. I don't trust this car.

Mixed Impressions
By rsb

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Overall I am very satisfied with the performance and build. Not too satisfied with the A/C performance -- even after software update, A/C does not always switch on correctly. Clutch pedal making noise even after greasing. Trunk had problems with the lock.

Interior design Sturdy Drives well in rain

Peripherals need improvement Rear leg space

Better than my A4
By Frankie76

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

If you going to buy an S40, go with the turbo. This model has a much better performance than the 2.41 engine. I had an 03 A4 1.8. which I traded for the S40. I have not looked back!! From quality to performance and of course safety, it beats my Audi in all categories. I first drove this car as a company car, leased 2004.5 2.4i. I recently turned it back as I had put 40,000 miles. That car had absolutely no problems. Other than the scheduled maint.

Power, Handling, Fun to drive, and features.

back seats kind of tight. Rear leg room