Used 2005 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Very satisfied buyer!
By smithran

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my S40 T5 in August 2004. It is actually a 2004.5(2005). To date, I have 32K miles on the car and still handles and performs like I just drove it off the lot. The only problem I have had with the car was a defective security chip (15K miles). Once replaced, not another problem. This car feels safe and secure. The car also loves the highway. Cruising an interstate at 80-85mph seems to be the speed this car loves. I just hope I can keep evading speeding tickets. Acceleration you ask? Well..A co-worker has an BMW M3 and he has trouble trying to get away from me ..{{Smiling}} Would I buy another S40 T5? YES! Without a second thought and the price is right. {{Wink}}

Looks, Handling, Comfort, Accelleration, Premium Sound,

A little bit more leg room in the rear seats would be nice. Also, SAT radio and/or plugin for MyFi/iPods.

A Great Car, mostly
By JohnnyVolvo

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I like this car. I like the interior, the exterior, the fit and finish, etc. etc. etc. If I had it to do all over again, I would still look very closely at this car. The fuel economy is bad though. No way around it, my car gets lousy gas milage. Advertised mileage is 22 City and 31 Hwy. I get 21 and some change on the highway. I really don't drive in the city enough to make any claim to what I would get there, but 21 on the highway? Nope....not acceptable mileage.

The center stack. I absolutely love the center stack. I look at just about any other car and am reminded how much more I like mine.

Do something about the mileage and you have a first rate automobile. This really is a nice car. Just please, fix this one thing....

S40 2.4i
By Jason

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Awesome little car, fun for 2 people, 4 is definitely a crowd though, unless your friends are small. the performance of the 2.4i just isnt there, but the T5 which I test drove is a blast, the 2.4i is great fun, but if you're a serious driver, get the T5 S40 or an S60R

Center console! Awesome. The interior is very driver oriented and all the buttons and things feel very well made, swede quality :).

the 2.4i could use a little more kick in the engine department.

So many problems!
By problem s40!!!

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I checked out a variety of cars in this category, and eventually settled on the s40. i loved the design, and heard such promising things about volvos, that i thought i was making the right decision. however, i have had problems with this car since day one. it has been back to the dealership 6 times in the year and a half that i've owned it. the first problem occurred when the car was less than 2 weeks old. the steering column had to be replaced. since then it has been back 5 times for starter control unit problems! volvo has not been particularly helpful either. i wish that i kept my 98 honda civic, which had absolutely no problems!

exterior style

reliability and fuel economy!

Good Car
By jay

2005 Volvo S40 Sedan 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Car runs great in Snow. The winter mode and traction control kept the car rather stable while driving in the first blizzard of 2006. The car has plenty get up and go for a small sedan.

Stereo, traction control

Brakes make a little noise when they get wet or when sitting in wet weather until. Computer/Sensor is sensitive to weight differences which controls airbags being activated or turned off.