Used 2005 Volvo S40 Consumer Reviews - 153 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Very disappointed
By Ramona

2005 Volvo S40 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I bought a 2005 Volvo s40 for $1850 and thought I had a great daily driver for a reasonable price. Within the first 6 months, my husband and I had to replace the starter (it was replaced right before we bought it), the alternator (which is almost $300), the calipers kept sexing even after replacing caliper 3x and the brake line, washer fluid sensor doesn’t work, terrible blind spots through front and back of car, headliner is falling down, headlights are super dim. I am honestly not that picky, but it seems like every time we turn around, the car is begging for attention. That being said, it is a very attractive car, is very comfortable with the heated leather seats, comfortable and smooth ride (when it doesn’t act up), and feels very safe. Oh yeah, not even an auxiliary hook up in this.

Some important issues to be aware of
By harry

2005 Volvo S40 T5 Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

There is a known design defect where, if the sunroof drains that run down the doors of the car clog, water drains into the interior of the car from the lower part of the doors. Absolutely ridiculous. You need to regularly clear the drains with compressed air. My interior is ruined as a result of water damage.

Also, 2005 models don't come with an auxiliary jack or bluetooth, and you can't put an aftermarket CD player in. You're looking at around $1000 to replace the CD player at the dealership if something goes wrong.

It also seems the only problems I've had with the car required me to go to the dealership for repairs.

Good S40
By HSIA OFENG YANG

2005 Volvo S40 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

It is a 2005 Volvo S40. Still feel pretty good driving it. Still has the feel of an old luxury car.

Great car
By Luis Rivera

2005 Volvo S40 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

I own this car since new, in my country is not easy to find european cars in manual transmission. Since I bouth found it great for similar market. The service in my country is not the best, but I have good mechanics.

Great little car
By K Borton

2005 Volvo S40 2.4i Fwd 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

This was my first car; while not real fancy, it was reliable. I never had a problem with the car. Regular service, but never a major repair