Used 2001 Volvo S40 Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo S40

View reviews for a specific S40 model:

Great Value for Money
By ahirebet

2001 Volvo S40 SE 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Excellent bang for the buck. I bought this certified pre-owned, so it came with a 6 year, 100,000 mile extended warranty. Even so, I only used that warranty once to fix a cracked ignition coil and all it cost me was a $50 deductible. Aside from that, the car has performed flawlessly in all four seasons. It rides and feels like the other european luxury sedans - heated leather seats, alloy wheels, sunroof, quiet interior etc, but at a much better price. The 1.9L turbo delivers plenty of zip without compromising highway mpg.

Heated leather seats, turbo, solid feel, reliability.

More and better designed cupholders up front. Availibility of manual transmission (since added), better city mpg (big difference between my city and hwy - 22-23 / 32-35).

A great car if you treat it right.
By Jesse Coley

2001 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car used with 80,000 miles on it. It's currently pushing 100,000 miles and I have had none of these problems other reviewers keep talking about. My brakes are FINE. The Check Engine light only comes on if I gun the engine while it is still cold, but then the light usually goes back off before the day is over. I had to replace the turbo when I first purchased the car, but I'm sure that's why it was for sale in the first place. Turbo cars have special needs. Synthetic oil and letting the engine idle a bit before shutting off the car is a MUST. I'm sure the previous owner didn't. Some people complain about bulbs burning out. The solution is to turn off the day-time running lamps.

Tough little turbocharged engine. Great fuel mileage. Torque is superb. Heated orthopedic leather seats. 5-speed automatic transmission. Great stereo. Tons of safety features. Sporty suspension.

Not a thing. I even like the silly cup-holder. The new S40 is a great car, too.

Great car for the low cost
By Matt

2001 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had my Volvo for a couple of years now and I am getting ready to sell her (upgrade). I must say that this car was an incredible purchase, I bought the car so that I could use it as a travel car and ended up using it full time because it was such a nice car. I would recomend this vehicle to anyone that loves the luxury of nice product but does not have the money to get a BMW/Merc

Fold down seats, gas mileage, controls, reliability... many more

Cup holder is in an odd spot.

We STILL love this car
By V

2001 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Fun to drive, great gas mileage, easy to park, as safe as the bigger Volvos... This car is fantastic. We've had it almost 5 years, and have NO interest in getting a replacement. Has been super reliable, versatile for a sedan (folding seats, etc.), and the lines are great. We also bought a V40 at the same time, and only sold it to get a bigger wagon. These cars are easy to love.

Great acceleration and responsive engine with really good mileage. Fun to drive, safe. Handling & mileage!

Take the rear headrests out for better visibility.

5 Years and still purring
By Tim

2001 Volvo S40 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned a 2001 Volvo S40 for over 5 years now, and it is still runs the same as when I drover her off the lot. The car has a great interior, is fun to drive, and is the best value for its price range. It was cheaper than the BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and Acura equivalents and comparable in features. It may not turn the eyes as much as an Audi, but it is a rock solid car. I had a friend that bought a 2001 Audi A4 Quattro that has been in the shop 10 times more than my car.

I very much enjoy the simple, yet elegant, interior that has a functional dash with controls that have never failed.

The back seat is cramped for adult passengers.