Used 2009 Volvo C30 Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific C30 model:

Super fun sleeper car
By Rich

2009 Volvo C30 T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Relatively high cost of ownership. Recommend running premium fuel. Even regular maintenance and repairs are $$. Would not own this car if I didn't have a friend who is a Swedish car guru, does most work for 1/2 what the shop charges.

My 3rd Volvo
By Jonathan

2009 Volvo C30 T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Sporty, clean lines, well thought out and fun to drive. I've had more people say they like the looks of the car very much and does it drive as well as it looks. My answer is yes. It has great acceleration 5cyl turbo and a light weight little car- zips. it gets great gas mileage..about 27 around town and 32 on the open road, and has required only standard maintenance. If a buyer is looking for a sporty two door, and understands that you and your passengers have to be rather agile to get and and out of the car, there are few negatives.

2009 Volvo C30 R Design
By SJM

2009 Volvo C30 T5 R-Design 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Always loved the style of this car and have been searching for a while ..Fairly rare car ..especially in R Design trim with 6 speed manual .....Car is sooooo comfortable and quiet and fast ! The interior is simplistic perfection ....the materials are top notch and its a great value in the used car market ....The premium stereo is AMAZING ....Overall a great car to own and enjoy .

A car that makes me smile every time I drive it.
By Mike C

2009 Volvo C30 T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2009 C30 used and have now owned it for 3 years. I had test drove a Focus RT and a Veloster Turbo but just fell in love with the C30. I found the build quality and ride to be so much better than the other two cars. Although mine is a barebones Model (does not even have cruise control), the prior owner had had all the work done on the car at the dealership. As such, it was very well taken care of. Interior of the care is simple but effective. I am not a small person but find it very comfortable in the front seat. Although the back seats are supposed to be "roomy", I have long legs so there would be no leg room behind me. Besides, it is always a pain to get in and out of the back seat of a small coupe. As such, no one but my dog rides in the back seat. It did not take me very long to get used to the 'waterfall' control system and now find it very easy to use. Performace, the car is great. Yes, it does not get the best fuel economy but it is a performance car. If I wanted fuel economy I would have bought the Focus or the Veloster. The engine produced plenty of horse-power and I have yet to have an issue merging or passing. But what I really like is that the power and performance are matched to a great ride. I love taking this car to my parents hours (6 hours away). The looks of the car are what really drew me to it. It has a unique look that stands out in the sea of hatchbacks. However, that looks does come at a cost. The hatch itself smaller than the rest of the storage area so it does limit the size of objects you can carry in the back. Since I do not have people ride in the back seat, I can fold them down and have lots of room. Also, the large B-pillars do make it difficult to see, producing some large blind spots. The only issue I have had with this car in three years is a bad PCV. This caused the engine to "whistle" as well as the check engine light to come on. It was not exactly a cheap fix (I had the dealer fix it) but it is all good now. If you have a Volvo with this engine and you hear the engine "whine" or "whistle" then get it to a repair shop quickly as delaying could cause my greater damage. (I was able to avoid that.) But given that this is a 7 year old used car, I guess that is not bad. I would recommend this to anyone wanted a fun hot hatch (either with no kids or small kids).

Great little car
By D

2009 Volvo C30 T5 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

We bought a C30 on our return to the US after a few years overseas. Previously we'd owned a 2003 VW GTi and a 2001 Porsche Boxster but now we only need one car. The C30 has everything we require -- more refined than the VW and, okay, not a Porsche but much cheaper to run. Space is fine for the two of us and the performance is more than good enough. When we bought it the trip computer software had not been loaded. The dealership's salespeople said it wasn't available on the manual. This simply was not true and the mechanics at the dealership installed it in a few minutes when we took it for its first service.

Build quality, looks (especially the 'flower petal' wheels), performance, comfort, moonroof.

None -- it's perfect as is.