Used 2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 59 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback

View reviews for a specific C30 model:

2008 C30 R-Design
By cadyjw

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 2.0 R-Design 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I traded a Focus and Sky and got the best of both worlds- the functionality of the Focus and nearly the power of the Sky Turbo. I call it my "hybrid". The fit and finish is a real step up. Of all the small luxury vehicles the C30 is the best choice- more stylish and sportier than the A3 and much more roomy than the Mini. As far as the other small vehicles like the Civic, Corrola, etc. they cannot even start to compare.

The 6-speed manual is the way to go for power and performance.

Electronics way too simple- hey its 2008. Bluetooth should be standard with a manual transmission.

The Anti Lemming Mobile
By RapidRick

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 1.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

Purchased my C30 OSD in Mar, picked it up & drove it in Sweden over Memorial Day and picked it up again in Tampa in July. The car is a stunner and draws rave reviews from folks, especially the younger crowd, but plenty of wiser enthusiasts have forced me to chat with them about it. The turbo comes on smooth and fast. Going 115 in this car is like going 30 in my great ZTW. Real easy to bust way over the speed limit, if you don't pay attention. Mine is in matte Gold, which the factory said there were not many made, and supposedly that's the only car Volvo makes that you can get in matte gold (?)

Slaying Mustangs at stop lights. Handles as good as my old GTI. Quiet. HP sound system is awesome. Sirius sat radio is great. Cool trip computer. I think I have the only matte gold C30 in America!

The ability to put the upgraded rubber floor mats over the nice standard floor mats. The fasteners only allow one set at a time.

Just got a new one!
By wulfy

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 1.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I love the solid "thunk" sound when a door closes. The rear seats are hard to get into, but with them down, the back is suprising roomy. Yes, it will run on either premium, regular or I guess "mid-grade". For your 1st 1000 miles, get a full featured premium. Then after, you can use regular for getting around town or Premium if you want performance. This car has plenty of ooomph. Unless you are street racing you don't need more. It manuevers like a dream.

Performance, fun to drive, solid feel. Head-turning looks. Price. Many nooks and crannys to store stuff. Full size spare. I have only had mine a while, so reliability rating is only for the 1st few 1000 miles.

They have diesel version overseas, and even green versions. They would be nice to get here in the USA. If it had one of those small side "suicide" doors, it'd be a huge help in getting into the back seats. Lifetime limited power-train warranty- Volvo is reliable, but this would be nice.

Great Drive
By sweethome

Terrific car. Went in to replace my 2001 Cross Country with the new model, wasn't crazy about the feel, and ended up testing the C-30. Can't believe I went from all that space to this 2-dr hatchback. What a good decision. With the back seats down, I can put my golf clubs, my wife's golf clubs and all the luggage we would ever need for a long trip. Comfort, ride, sound, all spectacular, and you gotta love the BLIS - no more neck craning to find that truck hidden in my blind spot. In my travels on the east and west coasts and the south, I have yet to see another C-30 on the road, so the uniqueness is a plus as well. People do stare.

BLIS; keyless entry & ignition; interior design; surprisingly comfortable back seats; suspension on highway driving; upgraded sound system

Bluetooth needs to be factory installed. Dealer installation is both unattractive and requires way too much dislocation of panels, seats and other equipment. Dealers may be able to do this comfortably with other models, but not the C-30. High risk of collateral damage.

First Small Hatchback Followup
By lgibsonjr

2008 Volvo C30 Hatchback T5 Version 1.0 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my C30 in December and after 9 months I wanted to provide a followup to my first review. I'm still impressed with its performance, handling, and overall feel. More than a few times I've needed the quick acceleration and my C30 has delivered without fail. Almost all my miles are city and zip around with a fairly heavy foot so I've been getting around 20 mpg. I'm sure I could get better if I were more conservative but thats not my style. If I had it to do over again would I buy the Volvo C30? Yes indeed.

Initially I said the interior design was my favorite feature but after 9 months it has to be the drivers seat. Perfect driving position for me and it's very comfortable.

The front seat belts are back a bit too much and can't be handled without significantly turning your body. The doors are heavier than I would like but its probably the trade off for the safety of the vehicle.