Used 1995 Volvo 960 Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 960 model:

Very useful Wagon
By qualityfirst1

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

Our wagon has been very useful. Great for hauling stuff and camping. This is our 5th Volvo and by far the most luxurious. This is not a luxury car, like our BMW 540i, Infiniti M45 or Mercedes 300CE. It does have some really nice amenities, such as dual power memory seats, power moon roof, chrome wheels, antilock brakes, cd changer, Leather interior, Power package, etc. We took her on a two week camping trip and she performed great. The 2.9 straight 6 is a nice engine. 4 wheel discs are good. Suspension is fairly well controlled. We have had our share of maintenance/repair issues, but nothing like our BMW or MBZ. This is one of the last rear wheel drive Volvos.

Great visibility. Safe. Nicely appointed. Good conservative looks. Great turning radius. Wonderful hauler. Great city or highway car. Strong, smooth engine. Overall a very nice package with a lot of bang for the buck.

Nivomat rear suspension is expensive to maintain (shocks over $300). Air cond system leaks freon. Seats a little flat (don't hold well). Small nuisance items - neutral start switch, bad radiator, rear hatch shocks, warped front rotors. At 88K mi, I can't complain too much.

Wonderful Car
By Pattywhiskers

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

I have a love affair with this car. It's beautiful with a restrained luxury and it is very reliable. I had it moved from Los Angeles to Maryland, and it has never missed a beat, even in the coldest and snowiest weather. It has only required regular maintenance. It is my third Volvo, however, probably my last. I think it lost ground when Ford acquired it. Also, I don't like the look of the S90.

I like the solid feel.

Terribly flimsy cup holder.

Volvo - Never Again
By texas_forrest

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

Cannot explain how poor this car has been. 8 years of ownership = $9000+ in repairs (excluding maintenance)=> Power Steering Pump, Tensioner Pulleys, Radiator (twice!), Catalytic Converter, Fuel Rail, Idle Control Valve, Electronic Sensors, Oil Seals, Insulation off of Wiring - things that should not fail!

The few days that is ran correctly - it was a great car

Volvo built an incredibly bad car in 1995 - my experience is typical

family fun
By gandyexpress

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

overall experience with this volvo is
great. we own two other older models
and the improvements on this one are
fantastic

ac does not blow very hard,can get uncomfortable in southern states

First and Last Volvo
By sketchie

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

Like the old volvo style and have
really enjoyed the handling and comfort
but it has been a maintenance
nightmare. Electrical problems with
many features such as transmission
settings, shiftlock, seat adjustments,
etc. Two A/C compressors and two rear
crank seal failures. Have heard good
things about other Volvo models but
this isn't one I would recommend.