Used 1995 Volvo 960 Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 960 model:

95 960 Wagon
By AJ

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

Fun to drive but numerous expensive problems detracted from onership experience. Engine failed at 139,000 miles due to "porous block syndrome" which is common with the 2.9L aluminum block inline 6 cylinder engine. Virtually entire AC system had to be replaced. Leather trim on door panels was poorly adhered and delaminated. Factory Alpine stereo was phenomenal. Expensive to maintain. Be careful.

Power. Seats. Alpine stereo.

2.9L engine is made by Renault and is known to suffer internal leakage of antifreeze through aluminum channels.

It's a brick
By scubasteve

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This is an amazing car considering what I put it through. It has been stuck in the mud twice! Pulled out washed up good as new. I regularly test the straight six on the highway and it always responds well. Its rpm's rev up and then it goes a lot like a turbo but it's not. I also recently drove my Volvo which has 128,000 miles on it from Micihgan to Panama City, Florida non-stop both ways (almost 24 hrs one way) and it is still running like a champ. It got 26 mpg on the highway but city is much worse the rear wheel drive is awesome but living in Michigan I get stuck in snow and mud all the time. 4 wheel drive would be cool but rear is nice in the summer months

Straight six, handling, comfy seats, moonroof, looks like a tank, great trunk fits all my hockey stuff, sticks and all.

Better cup holders, better city mpg, larger back seat,

Wife's favorite
By ALFONSO

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

We bought this care used, 10 yr old. We never had a problem with it. Even for being 10 yrs old. In the snow we used winter mode on the trans and every other time economy mode. Decent power great turning radius. And great interior with all the extras. Did minor repairs like brakes and sun visor. The air was running on last leg, quoted 2500 to fix. If tranny went out quoted 3500 to fix. Luckily for me I did not have any problems. Highly complex electrical system. My mpg was around 14 for city and highway 21 the most gas used in sports mode.

Heated seats and wood grain. The sunroof was cool. And the exterior gold trim. Big deep trunk with a little hole in the back to fit some lumber.

More after market parts would have been nice. All improvements were made in later models.

Upscale Wagon
By DIC_CAMARILLO

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

We purchased our 960 Wagon used in early 2003 with only 40K mile. I've owned 5 Volvos prior to this and we've been very pleased with them (with the exception of the 1979 265 Wagon - PRV V-6 engine isn't very good). Our 960 is the most powerful Volvo we've owned and the most luxurious. It still feels utilitarian, but you get lots of nice amenities - Leather, moonroof, 6 disc changer, chrome wheels, power seats, etc. Why do you buy a Volvo? Of course, the safest car on the road and the 960 gives you the feeling of safety. This car feels safer than the 240's we've owned. I like the improvements over our 760 turbo. I don't like the extra repairs this car has had.

You feel so safe in this car. I like the visibility (low window sills). Great features. You can drive all day and still feel refreshed. The body has a timeless design that looks good even after 13 years. Rear wheel drive is nice - new Volvos are front wheel drive.

We've had a few too many repairs on our Volvo. We have 98K miles on the car now. Parts replaced: radiator shift position assy, driver side door hinge assy, rear shocks - Nivomat, O2 Sensor, knock sensor and power dr seat plastic. Gas mileage is so-so. Dark brake dust all over the wheels.

Once a Volvo owner, ALWAYS an owner
By Ryan Tucholski

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This is my third Volvo, but my first sedan. Purchased at auction for $1800 to drive me from Toledo to Detroit everyday for work. Reliable, comfortable, fast and solid! Typical Volvo issues such as lousy cup holders and horrible air conditioning fan speeds. Overall, the 960 is a wonderful car! I have 113k miles on this auto, and put almost 30k a year on cars, so I know this will last me a while!

So luxurious! This car is solid! Car also turns on a dime!

Cupholders of course, and the 1995 960 has little head room for us tall guys!