Used 1995 Volvo 960 Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 960 model:

Great value, low cost.
By Mark

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2012 from a neighbor in Florida, for my parents who came to visit from Europe for 2 months. It was cheap, and I intended to resell it after 2 months for the same price. Before advertising it, I decided to drive it my self for a while, and I liked it so much, I decided to keep it a bit longer, to save miles on my other car (Mercedes). I've had a few small repair, like the power steering pump, which I replaced my self with an used one for $35. The radio broke, and I replaced it for $50. I've been driving the car for 4 years now, and I spent a total of $400, including oil changes, and a new battery. Thats $100 per year, or 1 cent per mile, since I drove 10k/year. Last christmas I drove the car from Florida to Virginia and back (my other car was wrecked), put on 2000 miles, with no issues, and it drove as comfortabe as my Mercedes. The front struts are getting weak, which is a bigger repair, and after looking up the procedure, I will do the work my self. It will cost me about $350 in parts. The reason I am doing it is because I really like the car, and as she (only) has 200,000 miles on. I think I can get another 100k and 10 years out of her. I must say the car was well maintained before I bought it, and I will keep it that way. I will also have to replace the timing belt, brakes and tires one more time in order to reach 300k miles, which will be another nice DIY project. I am surprised how easy it is to work on this car. No need for special tools, everything is accessible. If you are a handy person like me, you could drive a car like this for around 1 cent per mile in maintenance. I bought this car for a 2 months use, and it looks like I will keep it for 14 years total. Another reason for my plan is, the paint and steel is high quality. The car is now 20 years old. The paint is still shiny, and there is no rust at all.

Best of the Best
By Vlad John Visan

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

Bought this car off my dad in the early 2000s for my college commute.

The amount of options this car had inside put the much newer models to shame. Heated power seats with memory and heated dimming mirrors were just a few to mention. Ok, no GPS nav at that time, but 12 cd changer made the trick.

The power, the traction, and the reliability were unprecedented. A lot of cargo room, and the passagers were extremely comfortable. The car was driving in Toronto, Canada where snow isn't shy.

Bad on gas for the current trend, but back in '95, gas wasn't too big of an issue. I'd recommend this vehicle again as a first car to anyone. Safety, power, luxury, practicability all in one!

Hans....
By IguanaWN

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

That's my cars name. I bought him from a neighbor after the car sat for 1.5 years. It had two Major oil leaks and a Major league corroded battery disaster. After spending $600 and sweat, he was serviceable. Not bad. Since then I've replaced the front control arm bushings. Still needs ball- joints on the same arm. Speakers crackle, tensioner pulley. I'm still way ahead. Not a bad idea to know how to work on them if you own one. Solid car. It weighs 5k lbs, its a tank but doesn't feel it. No body rattle, doors and all Windows incl sunroof operate, a/c works. I enjoy Hans.

surprisingly powerful 6 cyl. amazing turn radius.

cupholders that work in American.

Great Car
By NuVolvoLuvr

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Sedan

This is one awesome car. I've only had it three weeks, but I love it. It drives like a Cadillac, smooth and sleek, fun to get in and drive. It's like the camaro for older adults. Plush and loaded, even at 14 years old, this car is one sweet ride. My suggestion, buy one from someone that has done maintenance to it, so you're good for a while, no problems here, I'm now sold on volvo for life...

Leather seats, smooth ride,lots of leg room for tall people on a long drive, love the heaviness of the body,plenty of bells and whistles

lack of headroom for taller people, cup holders are horribly cheap

One of the best
By Lasse

1995 Volvo 960 4dr Wagon

I was buying this car for my daughter 2003 over Ebay with 201000 miles on it. Now the car have past 420000 miles and still running good. The internel leak on the engine was the two first years of the car 1992-1993. But Volvo was replacing those engine for free what I have talk to Volvo Dealer about. And that the engine was made by Renault, I don't think so, that was the V6 engine in Volvo 260, 760 and 780. What I have find out the was working together with Porshe in Germany, to build this six cylinder engine and the 5 cylinder in Volvo 850. That was therefore they have so much trouble with the Renault,Peugeot and Citroen V6 engine.

And in the 1995 Volvo it,s easy to Check engine for all, and reset the check engine lamp. I like that better and in the newer ones. I now it, I have a 1997 STW and a 1998 S90. And it,s a good car to tow with.

The only thing I will have better done is the doors inside covers the was not made for heat it,s made for Sweden. And that they should make the self leveling much cheaper.