Used 1994 Volvo 940 Consumer Reviews - 52 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1994 Volvo 940

View reviews for a specific 940 model:

Tractor motor, truck tranny, scan design interior and plane jane exterior
By drjjjj

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Wagon

Comfy, quiet, torquey 4 banger with toyota truck transmission (yep, same one)! Very reliable when given basic maintenance, marginal if not! 1992- had SIPS side impact design that all use today, antilock, hydraulic motor mounts with motor to submerge in collision, ballistic seat belts and crumple interior! Also, limited slip rear end works well in snow! Neat car even today, $25K new back then tells ya somethin about the build quality/components! My air bag light is still off/functions 20 years later, the wagon is the size of an SUV and the 90- 92 is geared the tallest and so gets the best mileage -about 18/20 town and 24/26 highway on reg! Love the cars, had many, will get a prius next!

Limited slip, seats, torque at avg driving rpm, build quality, safety for it's era-even today!

They don't make em like this now, so point is moot! Air conditioners are weak, they need to be tuned every 25K miles and mpg is marginal-could have been geared taller. Anything newer than 95, 16 valve, 6 cylinder, 5 cylinder motor, turbo problematic!1990-1995 volvo 240, 740 & 940 may just be the most reliable cars ever made and kinda hip too! The 740/940 are larger and more upscale. Picky Engineer

The Brick
By usmcpilot

1994 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I have been in the automotive industry for over thirty years and I can say that this wagon, if properly maintained will not fail you or yours. The piece of mind you receive in terms of safety has no equal.
I've seen these cars rolled, samashed and crushed and 99% of them had room to live.
These cars have a time tested history of safety and reliability. Forget buying one after 1994.
Rwd drive is the way to go as all the drive componets are in alignment.
A very simplistic approach to good enginneering and design.
It is not unusual to see these cars still on the road with over 400K on them.
Make a wise choice, buy one with maint. history and love it and it will go as long as you wish.

The 1994 Volvo Turbo Wagon has no equal in terms of looks, performance and most important, safety. Ask any scapyard how difficult it is to crush one in the press. This alone indicates the overall strength of the vehicle. Moreover, you can get out of the car after a long trip and actually walk. Volvo in Swedish means, "long life." Get the picture? The 700 series are almost identical so, you have choices and the performance of both the 700 turbo, and the 900's are near identical. I wish I could purchase new one's. They are bargins! You can land a very nice 940 turbo with low miles for a mere 2500.00 to 4500.00 So, you can buy new and spend alot or you can get one of these Volvo's.

None.

I want to buy a new one but I can't
By Thomas Deprez

1994 Volvo 940 Turbo 4dr Wagon

This is the best car I have ever owned. After 17 years my turbocharged 940 wagon will still give a new European Touring Car a run for it. I blew away my bosses new Infinity. I would give anything to be able to buy a new one today. 220,000 miles and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. After 17 years I still have the original belts, hoses, and struts. I was rear ended by someone who totaled their vehicle. My Volvo sustained no damage! Now I understand Volvo was sold by Ford to a company in China. Who knows what it will become in the future. My wagon looks exactly like the picture. Now since spare parts are gradually being discontinued I will need to get a new car.

Seats are awesome. Stereo is great even though at 17 years it has a cassette player instead of a CD player.

Start building the car again. Only downside is that it only gets about 17 mpg on the highway.

Mileage
By gentlehygienist

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

Have 287,000 miles on mine, routine maintenance, love it, husband keeps wanting to buy me new car, don't want one!

Good, solid car
By Des

1994 Volvo 940 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a backup to my 1986 740 wagon which had 420,000 miles on it at the time. The 740 is still fine even after 440,000 (original engine and manual transmission) but I drive the 940 every other day just to keep it 'fresh.' When I got it at 107,000, the 940 was as close to mint condition as it could be. It was babied by the previous owner. I put in new radiator, timing belt, mass air flow meter and a few little things and it runs like a Swiss watch. My gas mileage averages about 25 in everyday driving, 30 on long trips, which is pretty good all things considered. I really like these rear drive Volvos. It feels like you're driving a safe down the road.

Great seats, surprisingly good handling, great ride, smooth engine and transmission

Plastic interior bits are weak