Used 1997 Volvo 850 Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

Love It but Hate Repair Costs
By raleighvolvo

1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new. This is the car of choice to drive for all members of my family. It is great on long trips and carries a ton of luggage. Good fuel economy. Comfortable and safe. I would love another just like it but with fewer expensive repair bills. The standard bill is around $700 and have had a couple of $1200 ones. The A/C bit me for $1200. Struts are a weakpoint in this car. Cooling system was a source of a lot of repairs. Still, even with 153k+ miles on it, I hate to give it up. Have to pick it up at repair shop with $1200 of brakes, struts, timing belt, etc, for this year's (I hope) maint.

A pleasure to drive on trips. Many safety features. Good gas mileage.

Improve quality: A/C, struts, cooling system, cup holders, even sun visor, radio all broke during ownership. The 850 GLT is no 240 DL believe me! I have owned both and Volvo quality has slipped.

Fun wagon.
By Nick

1997 Volvo 850 T5 Turbo 4dr Wagon

I purchased the 1997 Volvo 850 T5 for a winter car and daily driver. It has done a great job for both. Very peppy and it hasn't asked for much back. Problems that I have had. 1. required a new pcv system ~ $200 2. rear hatch inner panel sags, even after new clips and repair kit ~$30. 3. left front wheel bearing went out ~$100. 4. rear license plate bracket ~$20. Otherwise this is a great car and has not given me any troubles.

Very quick, comfortable, versatile, safe, and great in all conditions.

The car likes to squeak and rattle over the horrible roads in Michigan. On decent roads it rides perfect for a ten year old car with 150,000 miles.

Nice family car
By Crossbol

1997 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

This was my mother-in-law's car before she decided to give it to us as our wedding present. I spent some time fixing it and doing maintenance on it before we got it (she never did much to it, just drive it). After we got it, not many things went bad. Just regular things like CV boots ($55 for the entire axle), lower ball joint boots (still did not replace them), ABS module ($100 to rebuild it), alternator ($90 or so), odometer ($8 for the gear). I know that the evaporator core for A/C will go bad at some point, it is really common. The main thing is that I feel really good about my wife driving it with the kids, I know they are safe in it. Make it cheap, find parts online, you will save money.

Safety, good looking exterior, comfortable inside, fun to drive. Because of being an older model, It is possible to find cheaper parts for it, rebuild the old parts, etc.

Better gas mileage, design of their parts (like the ABS, evaporator core, etc).

Good older used car
By Doug

1997 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

Bought used with 100,000 miles. Things to watch for that we learned; The battery had been replaced because the car had been sitting for 6 months. This cleared the OBD-II. Have the seller get the emissions!!! You have to go through a crazy "drive cycle" to get the OBD out of a "Not Ready" with emissions folks. Beware of rear transfer seal going out around 100,000 as well. Evident by oil drips or oil on bottom back of engine. $800 repair!!! Great driving car though. Bought for safety features.

Safety features. Drives great.

Just be aware of disconnecting battery and subsequent problems with that. Door hinge mounts break loose (noted by a loud popping noise) and is a very expensive repair.

Will always own a VOLVO!
By jyoung

1997 Volvo 850 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I love this car, Volvo 850 turbo! I am in the process of replacing it with a newer volvo S80. However, I wish the new ones had the old shape. I like seeing a vehicle and knowing instantly what it is. They all look alike now, it is ashame. Back to why I love volvo cars, I feel so safe in this car. It is a heavy car, never hydroplaned in this car, which means a ton to me. The air conditioning is wonderful. My car is cold, on even the hottest days, very quickly. It has great pick up, too.

air conditioning outer appearance

Love the old shape vs. the newer shape All cars look alike now!