Used 1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

850 Turbo Wagon
By mreadygo

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

Loved the car. With age certain aspects started to go. But took many long drives and got me home every time.

Handing, control and stability of driving. Loved all the room for travel and how the car compacted well

none

Good workhorse, I will miss her!
By oaklandgirl

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

We purchased this car new, after our first child was born. I've loved driving this car with many children in the back (including the rear-facing seat), feeling safe and protected. The car always felt heavy, "mushed out" on tight curves, but that's the price I've was willing to pay for safety and comfort. The car has been very expensive to maintain: because we live on a hill, the car (which is heavy) requires new tires every two years, seat belt failures, light bulb failures, heating system failures -- all very expensive! The odometer stopped working a few years ago, and we just "blew" a valve (common for Turbos I'm told). I, unfortunately, will not buy a Volvo again because of this.

Safety, practicality, cargo room and, yes, looks! It never left me stranded.

The window & side-view mirror controls should be moved from the center console! Electrical system needs an overhaul. The dash should be built in such a way that getting behind it to replace a light bulb shouldn't cost $800 in labor!

Volvo? Never Again!!
By M&P

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

Bought used w/ 167Kmiles (13 yrs old). Prev. svc records showed good care, but fixes cost us $3,000 in 4 mos. "Check Engine" light came on before we got it home. Next wk the ABS had a fault; day after that, another ABS fault (ABS Control module [the "brain] died; vehicle speed sensor died; electronic climate control & keyless entry unreliable; today the car sputters & won't start; rattles badly & gives a rough ride. After 30+ years of German cars, we decided to try a Volvo for reliability. What a mistake! This one won't make it to 200K. No on will ever buy this if we're honest. Parts & repairs VERY expensive. Not DIY friendly. Tow companies love us. Afraid to take long trip in this car.

Honestly? Nothing stands out except big cargo area in this wagon.

Don't buy a used '95 850 Turbo - front to back, everything needs to be improved. Will never, ever buy another Volvo. This one is a nightmare.

My lil tank
By peoplesuck29

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

I love my Volvo! she is solid, safe and well...solid. I love the feeling of the doors when the close...you get that solid WHAMMM its very reassuring! I love the comfort and economy of a wagon. The sporty handling is a plus...burn outs certainly don't take much effort. The reliability is a little questionable but she always turns over...so no real complaints. Gas mileage is GREAT considering how hard i drive the car and how heavy it is...i get 20mpg average around town 27 highway. I live and Maine and winters here are terrible...however the volvo is a champ, i had to go out in thr worst storm of the year...i NEVER slipped once! traction was out of this world...not to mention she weighs so much

gas mileage, handling, economy of a wagon, value, winter driving is a BLAST! seat comfort and above all, safety.

better quality parts...i know she is old but the build quality is a little less than my friends 240's, 740's....

Once a Volvo owner, always a Volvo owner
By volvo4life

1995 Volvo 850 Wagon Turbo 4dr Wagon

I have really enjoyed owning my Volvo. Sure she may not be a fashion statement, but she is full of character! It is everything that a well build Swedish car should be: rock solid. I have had a few issues with the battery but besides that she turns over and runs fine. I love the turbo! Really kicks in at speeds over 30 mph.

the turbo! comfort, cargo room, premium sound, heated front and rear seats, moon-roof, trac-meter, auto window, safety features! I love the solid feel and engaging drive. respectable fuel economy, 22 city, 29 highway.

Make the dash with a high quality product. The car is overall very well built but I would have liked a better quality dash material. Other than that, keep it up Volvo. You got me hooked!