Used 1991 Volvo 740 Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1991 Volvo 740

View reviews for a specific 740 model:

Volvo holds the world record in miles.
By David

1991 Volvo 740 Turbo 4dr Wagon

This is the best car I have ever owned and I probably will not find a better one in my life time. I now have 485,787 miles on it and it runs like new. Smooth transmission and engine and it's all original. I have had this car for six years now and everything still works perfectly. I admit I even abuse the car all the time at the street lights and she is as tough as a tank and as fast as a hot rod. All I do is change the oil every 3 thousand miles or so and I changed the battery once. Not bad for a half a million mile car! I paid only $600 for her and some guy offered me $4,000. no way would I ever sell my car. If you buy a Volvo you will never buy anything else again! Volvo for life!

The incredible reliablility, the confidence of being safe in a Volvo not just for me but my family, the endless amount of cargo space is better than many vans, leaving many new little sports cars in the dust at street lights.

For a 16 year old car with 485,787 miles on it I still can't think of a single thing.

Utterly reliable
By Ash

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 199,000 miles on it in July 2004 and only recently sold it to a friend with 216,000 miles on it. I love the fact that she was built for highway cruising. I thought it was bizzare that she gave 16 mpg in the city and 35 mpg on the highway. But I never felt the stress of driving on 8-10 hour trips. She has been utterly reliable, and the only thing I did for her during her 2.5 years with me was change the rotors and pads, and get the alternator fixed. (Both of these are maintenance items that need repair/replacement every 6-7 yrs when well maintained.) Her original automatic trans was rock solid. Everything worked as it should.

Pretty much everything on this was good. Decent looking, utterly safe, utterly reliable, comfortable. Little things are taken care of: lights on doors that swing open, central locking locks the trunk, etc. Also very nice: roomy hood compartment, very easy to work on. Even better to learn on.

None really. The only weak points on volvos are usually cosmetic: the eco-friendly glues that hold up the headliner typically goes bad and falls after its 10 yrs old. Thats fixed now.

Great Old Volvo - Still Great
By Carol A. Pasquini

1991 Volvo 740 4dr Sedan

I drove this car for 15 years and put 245,000 miles on it. It was still going strong, but I succumbed to a red Audi convertible. I had a bit of front end work (rack), and other general work done, but the engine, body, and upholstery (leather) were still fine. My new car is great, but I doubt it will be as fine a car in general as my "trusty" Volvo. I probably could have gotten another five years out of it. Too late now. (1991 740)

Mostly everything.

Needed a better pick up - maybe more horsepower for such a heavy car. Used the plain, reliable Volvo four cylinder engine.

My quirky little brick...
By Bricklover

1991 Volvo 740 SE Turbo 4dr Sedan

I was given this car in 2002 when it died on the side of a rural GA highway. Turns out the ground wire to the main fuel pump had a bad terminal connection. After about 30 minutes and 10 cents invested, I had a smooth running little Volvo. This car became my wife's (girlfriend at the time) college commuter car. Now it's my daily driver. I love this car. I can take V8 muscle or imports from a standing start to about 80 mph. Beyond that, the 740 is mortal. It's comfy and very safe, and a tad sexy too. My only complaints are the quirky electronics. I can't really complain though for a 15 year old car. Advice to tinkerers: if it ain't broke, leave it be. Volvos will drive you crazy.

Comfy, roomy, safe, dependable, fast! The trunk is cavernous. The moonroof is sweet. Good paint. Insanely solid chasis and suspension. Awesome factory turbo+ kit. Great brakes. Quiet. Solid tranny. Handles like a go-kart.

Include a copy of "Psychology of the Swedish Engineer" with every used Volvo so that we practical Americans can understand these cars. The wiring is especially befuddling. I think that if you use good gas and change the oil, these old 740's will go forever. Tinker at your own peril.

Best car I ever owned
By Dr know

1991 Volvo 740 Turbo 4dr Wagon

Now I understand why volvo holds the world record for the most miles in history. My car has 181,000 miles on it and runs like new.Its fast comfortable and its alot of fun beating sports cars with a station wagon. I bought the car because my escort died on me on short notice i needed somthing cheap that was safe for the baby reliable and didn't use too much gas.I got what i wanted and more. its also fast and fun to drive.an elderly man who collected volvos needed to clear his yard due to code violations.he was selling it for $900 i bought it for $600 sure it needs paint and seat covers its 15 yrs old but wow the car is solid as a rock.fast, economic, safe, and ,reliable I see why he loves volvos.

the turbo,the overdrive button, the huge stroller space,the silence when the door is closed.the name volvo that makes me feel safe and secure.

it's hard to say.well even though the car is 15 years old i guess stronger leather to survive the strong Miami sun would be good.