Used 1990 Volvo 740 Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1990 Volvo 740

View reviews for a specific 740 model:

Just keeps going and going and going
By Eva

1990 Volvo 740 GL 4dr Sedan

Have owned this car since 1993, it has been the best and most trouble free car I have ever owned. After purchasing 3 new vehicles and getting to know everyone is service dept. on a first name basis I said never again would I buy new instead I would let someone else get the bugs out. This is my 3rd Volvo and my family can't pry me out of it. Fun to drive and great service, leather interior still almost perfect (only 2 small places where seam has come loose) looks better today that most cars that are 3- 5 years old. Love the box called Volvo !

Ride, handling, turning radius, roomy trunk and love the loud horn.

Let the Swedes build them.

Boxy Blue 19 years strong
By indypacers

1990 Volvo 740 GL 4dr Sedan

My son is 18 and preparing for college. The car he came home from the hospital was the car he drove last night to his function and it's still runs strong. Boxy Blue or the tank has seen it all from smashed mailbox post, prom night, babies #2 & #3, vacations etc. I have to say after having several other cars/mini vans over the same period Boxy Blue held up and was the best car purchase I've made dollar for dollar. So the repairs that I may do now are minor, there are plenty of junkyard parts and my mechanic still wants to buy her off me whenever I drive into his shop.

The design, although boxy is still relevant

Cupholders would have been nice

Still going strong
By indypacers

1990 Volvo 740 GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car the day my eldest son was born and 18 years later I'm still driving it. It proved to be a great investment, a few tires, a brake job, brake booster, heater core and batter latter it's still kicking and wanting to go even more.

The 16 valver
By Kayti

1990 Volvo 740 GLE 4dr Sedan

This is a car you really have to get into as an owner. You can't just drive it just to drive it, you have to really learn about it to operate it properly. It's an older car, so at times we'd have our mornings with the cold weather and the engine turning over but only for a few seconds. It's a very strongly built car and can handle through most anything if you have the tires for it. :) I would suggest this as a first car to any teenager because it helps to teach responsibility. I've put loads of work into this car to get it where it is today and it runs like a champ! I even take it out and autocross it on weekends. Volvos are well-built cars. Like tanks. And I've loved mine.

The heated leather seats are great! Along with the heated rear window for those dewy mornings. I also love my sunroof. Its power and works just like the day the car was bought.

This car tends to burn a bit of oil. I'm sure I could fix the problem if I sat down to do it, but I go through about 3-4 quarts every 3 weeks.

Best ever
By brad

1990 Volvo 740 Turbo 4dr Wagon

Lots of fun to drive, safer than most cars, much comfort, just a very good car all around.

Seats.