Used 2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Flawed Beauty
By Alemaine

Review is for my 2013 TDI LUX:
Took a while due to its numerous quirks, but I love this vehicle. This vehicle has a personality; the way you're zany friend has personality, the one with the full lips and incredible body. The athletic one who can beat you to the top of the hill in a foot race without breathing hard, and best you in a swim out to the old raft moored in the middle of the lake. However, this friend will sometime confuse Thursday for Friday, or give you the wrong time and the wrong address for the party thrown in your honor, tell you they absolutely can install the new software upgrade you need, and on the day tell you they don't have it and you don't really need it. But hey, isn't this a beautiful day? In other words, ...the entertainment system is pretty dismal. Most of it works albeit a little clumsily. Streaming music via bluetooth works well with Android an iphones, but what a pain in the ass to connect an ipod; it's like 6 steps, and 6 more steps as soon as you turn the engine off. counterintuitively, you do this through the PHONE soft keys. And your HDD and SD inputs store music alphabetically, and there is no way around that other than to mix. This means you cannot listen to albums in original order. You cannot search for artists or genres or albums, but only for songs, and then limited to just the 5 listed on the scroll bar on the touch screen. If you have an extensive collection of tunes, you won't be saying, "Hey, I'm gonna play "Black Dog" by Zeppelin," because there's no way to find it. No itunes interface, no play lists or any kind, just the very strubborn German rule of A-Z only. Don't understand why VW doesn't get the importance of this kind of thing, but they don't. Also, the amplifier is vastly underpowered and the speakers are below average for what in all other aspects is a luxury vehicle. I spent $800 on an after-market amp, and I'm very happy now with the sound. Not over the moon estatic, but very happy. So, I like my friend, but some days I wish they were more thoughtful and less selfish and would actively search for ways to make nice and try harder to gain my admiration. On the other hand, my friend is very good at what they're good at, such as:
The fit and finish is superb. Solid. Touareg LOVES it some highway. Quiet Very surefooted in the rain and snow. Warms up quickly. Wonderful torque. Extremely comfortable seats front and rear, lots of leg room. Corn silk beige in mine is beautiful, easy to clean. Decent gas mileage. Current price for diesal at Costco is $1.83 a gallon. Range is almost 700 miles to a tank. Car is understated but beautiful. Deisal engine should last half a million miles, if California and the EPA lets me keep it. Yeah, I coulda bought a Lexus or a Merecedes, but I don't think I'd be this enamored.

2014 TDI R-Line
By mkcoach1

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought my 2014 Touareg R-Line in November and have driven it 3,600 miles of mixed highway and city driving. It is a great vehicle and has exceeded my expectations. The interior is very similar to my 2010 Porsche Cayenne that I drove for 3 years and very close to my wife's 2012 Audi Q7 S-Line. I am getting 26 miles to the gallon combined and the R-Line sport suspension is great fun to drive. Very comfortable seating for an old athlete that is 6'5" and it has very easy controls for navigation etc.

R-Line sporty suspension.

None.

Mixed Bag (II)
By cpmariner

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Overall, this excellent car is very comfortable (plenty of room for a 6' 4" man), amazingly powerful, highly maneuverable, great fuel economy, and really fun to drive. My wife fell in love with it, and her Lexus 350 GS is rapidly gathering dust in the garage.

However, at 3,000 miles I'm beginning to worry about reliability. The first to go was the power seat memory -recently fixed. More serious, though, is an intermittent "roaring" noise from under the hood. To me, it seems to be the engine cooling fan running at 100% for no apparent reason. But the dealer's techies are sure that it's power steering-related and requires no "fix". Sounds like code for "we don't know" to me. We'll see.

(Later, after 10,000 miles)

Obviously, the thing most on my mind is the resolution of VW's emissions cheat. Apparently settlements are in progress for the 2.0 liter diesel models, but for the 3.0 liters - like mine - the jury's still out. I hate this, because the more I drive the car, the more I like it. But I fear that any "fix" VW might come up with will affect performance, mileage, or both. (If not to improve performance/mileage, why else would they have done it?) Likewise, I can't reasonably imagine that any cash compensation will really cover the loss of value, no matter what VW says. In any event, I'd hate to give up the car... unless a "fix" results in a poor performance, low mileage Panzer.

Otherwise, that roaring noise I previously reported turned out to be exactly what a commenter on my previous review pointed out: a normal and necessary filter cleaning apparatus. I'm just surprised that none of those "VW Certified" technicians at the dealership were ignorant of it.

Minor electronic glitches persist. The most annoying - although it sometimes makes me laugh when it happens - is that the automatic driver's seat retraction (the seat's supposed to move backward automatically when the engine is shut down and the driver's door opened, to allow for easier exit) sometimes gets "confused", and moves forward instead of backward. It's comical, really... like the car is annoyed with me and wants to crush me up against the steering wheel. (It's easily stopped by hitting #1 setting on the pre-set seat positions panel.)

I've also come to be less pleased with steering performance. It's not quite as stable as I'd originally thought, particularly during long, sweeping curves at medium speeds. I do have to "saw" the steering wheel a little bit during such curves to stay on track. Some have said that the Touareg is a "Cayenne in drag", and that's true in many respects. But I recently had occasion to drive a Cayenne, and the better steering performance was noticeable. However, I don't think an extra $5K to $10K for better steering through sweeping curves would be approved by my wallet. In city driving, the Touareg's steering is fine, with an especially tight steering radius for getting in and out of parking spots.

(All that said, my wife recently bought a 2016 Mercedes GLC but still "steals" my Touareg whenever she can :-)

So overall, I still enjoy the Touareg enormously and look forward to driving it. The highway gas mileage is "as advertised" (close to 30mpg, as measured) and it's a very, very comfortable vehicle for long distance driving, particularly if you're tall. Occasional back seat passengers often comment about the extra leg room as opposed to the competition. The passenger seat back goes down almost to a sleeping position (almost flat), and that's a bonus for shared long distance driving. All-around visibility is very good. Stability in windy conditions is very good. Pick-up is very, VERY good... particularly helpful for passing, highway entrance ramps, and for a short burst to escape those "awkward" high speed traffic situations created by the crazy zoomies we all know about.

If I were the "protestor" sort, I might put on a sandwich board saying "Please Don't Take My Touareg Away!" and march outside the EPA headquarters.

The Curious Case Of Diminishing Milage
By claudestouareg

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Our bran new 2013 Lux TDI gave us astonishing 33 mpg trips on secondary highways at around 60mph.
Now with 7,000 miles on the odo we can't get even 28mpg under the same conditions.
When we started noticing the loss of mpg we started taking extra precautions not to waste diesel but to no avail.
This car is getting at least 10% less mileage at 7,000 miles than it did bran new.
Anybody else experience this??

Love the car, engine, tranny, stability, composure. Five hundred mile, three stop day trips are not tiring. One is not overwhelmed with technology but everything important seems to be there and easy to use. It's just great to fill up in Atlanta, drive 280 miles to Savannah, drive around there for a week, drive back to Atlanta and fill up for the first time at the same station.

Can't VW tune out the disconcerting shimmy that sets up in the rear suspension when the car is coming out of a rough patch in the road (think rail road tracks, coming off a bridge back on to tarmac, etc.). We would have happily paid for air ride. The 8 speed tranny is wonderful, BUT, while coasting when there is slack in the drive train, shifts, especially downshifts from around 3rd to 2nd, occasionally have a weird jiggle that suggest that the shift could end badly. What's that all about?

Steering Wheel Shake
By shakytouareg

2013 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought a 2013 Touareg TDI Lux a month ago and it has been in the shop for 17 days with an irreparable steering wheel oscillation. It is still in the shop.

So far VWoA has advised the local dealer to try the following: road force balance all wheels, swap wheels from another car, change all four tire to Michelin Latitudes, replaced front drive shafts and replace steering rack. None have remedied the problem.

Other owners have reported the exact same issue and have had difficulty getting satisfactory resolution.

Search for "Touareg steering problem" to find more. Or go to ww.touaregsteeringshake.com. I don't any more hassle, I just want a new car.

Tasteful styling. Absence of cheap chromed plastic parts. No flashing light show on the dashboard. Solid construction.

This is a complex and expensive vehicle. VW needs to support the owners of this vehicle if they hope to have a viable entry in this market.