Used 2012 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews - 22 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen Touareg

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

I like mine!
By Scot61

2012 Volkswagen Touareg VR6 Sport 4dr SUV AWD w/Navigation (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I own the Sport with Nav, and I think the car is great. Very good handling for an SUV, outstanding exterior and interior although there are some shiny, glaring surfaces in the cockpit. Entrance and exit can be challenging for tall people. Gas mileage was a pleasant surprise; I get about 2 mpg more than the EPA estimate. The Bluetooth can be confusing, but Nav is great. Overall, a very solid, great-handling, good looking and reasonably economical SUV to drive, with outstanding towing ability.

4/13/16 Update: I still like mine! I would add that it's best to have VW do oil changes; my local Jiffy Lube did not have the correct oil filter.

Also, a word on towing: I have towed up to 5,200 pounds with the V6 with no problem. (My understanding is that towing capacity is 7,700 pounds with any of the offered engines.) Although I was generally able to manage 50-55 in the right lane up small mountains in New Hampshire with 5,200 pounds, I imagine you might be going closer to 40-45, or slower, anywhere near the 7,700 pound limit with the V6 up a steep grade. The Hybrid, and especially the diesel, would be much better choices for that kind of towing.

4/13/17 Update: Nothing new to add. No mechanical or other issues. My Touareg continues to perform well, and is the best car I have owned so far. i hope to buy another one in a few years, so I hope they continue to make them. If not, I will probably switch to the Audi version or take a look at the new Atlas.

Great Vehicle
By clockit4

2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I am very impressed with this vehicle. I have a two Bmw X 5's in the past, and this vehicle is of equal or slightly better quality. I cannot stand rattles in a vehicle and this Touareg posses no rattles whatsoever. Very stable over bumps and railroad tracks. I love the gas mileage the TDI offers. The navigation system is the best I have seen in any vehicle. Love the posted speed limits shown on screen.
Touareg currently has 29,000 miles on the odometer.

Disaster...love the car, but 10 service calls??
By lastvw

2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Sport 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

This has been a nightmare. I have been back to the dealer 10 times with check engine light issues and ad blue issues. brakes squeal in reverse. tires very hard to balance. great car...but I don't have the time for the service....if you buy one, must buy the extended warranty (3rd party).

handling, gas mileage, solidly built.

the reliability is horrible. Had a NOC sensor and ad blue issues within 1500 miles of each other. I don't have a car valet so this takes way too much time.

2 years and 30,000 miles
By fordecoboost

2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Quite possibly the best vehicle I have owned and this covers GM, Chrysler, Ford, Austin Healy 3000, Volvo. Volkswagen Group(Porsche & Audi). (Ford F 150ecoboost not included, The Beast).
Fuel Mileage is as advertised...20-29mpg overall. 2(2 -5,800 mile rt's from California to Ohio, via southern and northern routes[28.5mpg avg. Speed to 105mph]. Tire wear(Pirelli) is at the half way point, brake pads are at 9mm. Vehicle speed control maintains speed when ascending long grades(ie, New Mexico and Arizona)Not true when decending.
Was given a rather late model Infinity SUV while waiting on delivery of Vdub. What a joke! Like a buckboard with confusing controls. 6 inch watery marsh, no problem.

Engine view. Sound system. Vista View roof. Seat positioning. Sic Torque when Turbo diesel spins up. Cornering. Seating position. Shift lever position. Parking.

Gps map view does not come up to standards as those on my previous vehicle. F150 W/sony system, although it will get you to your destination. Cutain will not close with Vista Roof open as 2009 Tiguan would.

Extremely disappointed - not recommended
By sk14msk

2012 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Lux 4dr SUV AWD w/Prod. End 10/11 (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought my 2012 Toureg certified used with 12k miles on it. The steering wheel shakes at 65-75 mph and I took my car back to the dealer two times already. Every time they returned the car to me, they said the problem has been fixed. New tires, alignment, nothing is helping. There are numerous other VW Touareg drivers out there who are as disappointed as I am.
The steering wheel shake makes longer trips very uncomfortable. I am extremely unhappy with this car.

Besides the problems mentioned above, this would be a really fun car. Very fuel efficient for an SUV, good interior space, fun luxury car.

VW needs to either find a way to find to fix this problem or admit that this car has a major issue and offer their clients an acceptable solution. Otherwise I might just have to get a Hyundai.