Used 2006 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Touareg

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

My Experience
By Len

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my touareg after a careful research in publications to see what vehicle could go farther per tank full. I wanted an SUV that could go fast, far, be stable and competent off road. I live in Miami and after several hurricanes I saw huge lines at the gas stations when a hurricane may be heading here. I needed a car that would take me out of the state in case a category 4 or 5 hurricane came here. My touareg v-6 has an epa rating of 21 mpg and a fuel tank 26.6 gal with a theoretical range of 556 miles. I go from my house in Miami, to I-95 to the Florida turnpike to I-75 to the state line using Cruise control and tiptronic on 6 gear in one tank full. This is over 475 miles. This is great.

Excellent quality. Very quiet. Great highway driving. I just had 30,000 miles and replaced the brake pads. Very expensive. The best mileage can be obtained with near 50 lbs on the tires. Also the tires wear evenly if fully inflated. The car is well treated, cleaned and has never given me any problem

Less weight. I hope there are major improvements for 2010.

Major Issues
By ttrag

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my car into the shop multiple times for issues with the computer and they can not seem to get them straight. Most recently I have had to replace the brakes (including the rotors). I was told by someone in the service department that this was very common and that there were a lot of "Unhappy Touareg Customers". I was basically told that I would have to spend $1,500 dollars every two years on the brakes with this car. To add to this...when I called into Volkswagen's customer care department and was told that the problem was merely related to my driving habits. I have children or pets in my vehicle most of the time and I assure you that my driving habits are average at most.

Tons of fun
By AADAM

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI 4dr SUV AWD (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I love driving my Tdi Touareg daily. It is a blast; tons of torque and hp which makes it a lot of fun. We put the car on a rolling chassis dyno to see what it would do and how much power and torque it would lose through the drivetrain; from the engine to the tires. We were pleasantly suprised. It is rated at 310 hp and 554 lb-ft at the motor so I thought it should put down somewhere around 250-260 hp and 460- 485 lb-ft of torque at the tires. The dyno results surprised us all to say the least; 299 hp and 548 lb-ft torque at the tires; damn near matched the power ratings which were listed as at the flywheel. It is very difficult not to drive it with your foot to the pedal. Brakes are super as well. Super!!

Love the performance and braking like I mentioned up top. The interior is great too; just wish the nav was touchscreen. I have the brown\tan interior with black paint which looks great.

It'd be great if the suspension controls could be set up where it was possible to lower it another inch or two to make it handle better. Looks really pretty @loading level(the lowest setting). A mesh grill option would be great. Also if the VW emblem in the rear was paint matched between letters.

Tires/Suspension
By vman

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Fun to drive and excellent winter driving vehicle. Problem: Tire cupping and road noise after 5-6000 miles. Have had tires replaced on two occasions, two alignments and at 32,000 miles VW now says they won't fully warranty the tire issue. Issues not fully resolved yet!!

Selective transmission and handling.

Weight issue and fuel consumption

atrocious brakes
By Brian Randall

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

In less than 20,000 miles of city driving it is necessary to replace front and back brakes at a cost of $1800.00. This is considered normal according to the service department. I have driven SUVs for 20 years and have never had to replace brakes. Volkswagen offers no assistance and only warranties for 12,000 miles, which is useless. I would warn any potential buyers of the Touareg that they can expect a $1800 brake expense every 12-20,000 miles.

comfort

improve brakes and advise purchaser that they will incur this expense every 12,000 miles.