Used 2006 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Touareg

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Love my Touareg
By Mbaye

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I read the comments but overall, they were not bad! They were 8.3 on a scale of 10 for consumers and 7.8 for the editors! Personally, I don't think this is as bad as some "wieners" must think. Think about the alternative Toyotas! The car does not accelerate and it is made to work as intended! It is a car for raggedy and tough road conditions like the Sahara desert in Africa or the bad road in Africa! The only think I think they should improve on is MILEAGE per gallon, but again, you are not driving a hybrid here! Bottom line this is a great car, backed by a reliable builder, and a trustworthy holding company named PORSCHE! The car shares many parts with the Porsche (same chassis)!

All of it!

Miles per gallon

Love it ,But
By jak54

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I've owned this Touareg for about 4000 miles now. It's a great SUV as far as the the ride and handling. I'm not going to complain about the terrible gas mileage. I mean someone else already mentioned this, IT'S A 5500 LB SUV! What bothers me is the cheap plastic they used on in the interior! The decals on the radio presets and on the fans, etc. The supposedly buttons for a garage door opener do not work. Took it to the dealer..he said "use your own opener"...and the stereo controls...shouldn't they be on the steering wheel? Bells and whistles don't mean much if they don't work. Oh, and the VW logo in the center of the wheels, is glued on!

The ride ..the feel of the road...the secure feeling you get driving it. Comfortable interior and the stereo. The style of the exterior and for me, not too many on the road. All in all, it's a great SUV, if you don't mind going to the dealer every once in a while to replace the dumb decals!

More efficient engine...quality parts in the interior!!!!!!! Place stereo controls on the steering wheel instead of the cruise control..you use the stereo controls many times a day..how many times do you use the cruise control? mp3 dock would be nice.

The Amazing V10 Diesel
By SLA

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI 4dr SUV AWD (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I had a 2004 Touareg V8 before this one and it had a lot of electrical problems. Replaced it with the V10 and couldn't be happier, one of the best vehicles I have owned. It has amazing performance, gets very good fuel economy considering its weight and size and will tow over 7700 lbs. Haven't had any problems with it, just normal maintenance, which isn't cheap but I have a prepaid maint. plan. It does eat up tires but haven't had to replace the brakes (30k miles).

Performance. Towing capbility. Off road capability.

A lower setting for the air suspension to improve highway handling/economy.

For your consideration
By NJTouareg

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased used 2006 Touareg in May 2009. Within 2 days it had to be towed to get the ignition coils replaced. Shortly thereafter it was dead in the street, alternator and battery. The day after the alternator was replaced, the drive shaft went. Fortunately, all this was still covered. Two things concern me: first, did VW knowingly make a vehicle with so many major flaws that they wanted to compete in the luxury market? And second, what does VW do when the "certify" a used vehicle? To date Burlington VW has been good about repairing everything, but even they are starting to consider whether or not we should keep the vehicle. Despite all above, still like the truck, if it will run....

Styling, performance, ride. Despite all my difficulties, I find it hard not to love this truck. It is a perfect answer to a man's truck and a Mom Mobile.

Reliability, Reliability, Reliability.

Dishonest maker
By Lisa

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This is my 2nd Touareg by default, the first one had so many electrical issues that I took it back to the dealer and refused to pay for it any longer. So being the generous automaker/dealer they decided they would let me out of that lease but only if I would resign a lease with them for the NEW AND IMPROVED 2006 Touareg. I did, I really liked the look and the way it handled. The 2006 version has been a nightmare, first the noise caused by some unknown vibration, dealer fixed by adding foam behind the dash, then when I complained of the continued vibration I was told it was my tires. I replaced my tires it improved put did not fix. Brakes bad, ridiculous cost to replace but its not just the

brake pads its the rotors too. Now for the kicker, the 2006 has a driveshaft that was not made properly and is not strong enough for the car, it broke!!! $1004 to replace and don't plan on getting any help replacing that, even though they know it is an issue. It should have been a recall, but it

will last long enough to get you past your warranty date. If you have problems with vibration, go to the dealer, insist that they replace the driveshaft with the V8 before you are out of warranty.Don't fall for the same run around I got. It isn't your tires.