Used 2005 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews - 196 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Volkswagen Touareg

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Just traded mine in for a Turbo Outback
By Syracuse

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

After many recalls, and many problems, I finally gave in and traded mine in. Took a big hit, but it was well worth it. My new car has 12,000 on it, and hasn't been to the dealer yet. VW made a great looking SUV that test drives well, but is terrible to live with. Their service department isn't up to the standards set by other manufacturers in this price range. I owned a Saab previously, and although it spent too much time in the shop, the service dept was knowledgeable and always had a loaner. Bottom line, getting rid of my Touareg was worth it (simply so I wouldn't be reminded of my poor buying decision every day).

Great looking and drove very well when working.

If your vehicles are going to need to be serviced constantly, your dealers should be prepared to take exceptional care of the customer. The nicest thing about my new vehicle is that I have no idea if their service department is any good. At the rate it's going, I may never know . . .

As a Tow vehicle
By Jim Quick

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I tow a 31' travel trailer and have found the Touareg to be a excellent tow vehicle. The six speed transmission along with the 310HP V8 do a very good job, much better than the full size PU I was using before. Also better gas mileage than before.

drivability. Very fun to drive

Wiper blades chatter. Needs some improvement in design.

BuyerBware
By Beyond Frustrated

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Many miles logged on this unreliable vehicle, with MANY service/repair trips to dealer after less than 1 year/8K miles. Elecrical system, warning light problems, trim breaking/falling apart - little annoyances = BIG frustrations! Even more frustrating is wasted time spent trying to make an expensive new car "right". A difficult life lesson, and major ouch on depreciation! Maybe I could give it away and claim a tax deduction? I was told 2005 Touareg has the "bugs" worked out - Would you like to spend 40K+ to find out? (I think not!) Getting ready to clash with VW on a "solution" - this car IS a LEMON (whether they admit it or not).

Beautiful car, sharp styling, interior and exterior a pleasure to look at. Feels safe and solid on the road (until something breaks or another warning sensor goes off). Like the back seat sunshades (for my kids), and nice sound system. It certainly "looks" the part (of a luxury vehicle).

Hey VW, if you are going to market a luxury SUV, make sure it fits the bill, in every way - good looks + excellent performance AND reliability! What a disappoinment (and I'm stuck with the payment on this life-drainer). Get it together VW - help the consumers who you stuck it to, on the 04 Touareg

Don't Buy it!
By Unsatisfied

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I've had many SUV's over the years, but this one is the worst. It has been in the shop 50 days in the last year and a half. They have just about totally replaced every part but the engine! Numerous, numerous electrical problems. I like the design but until VW works out all the bugs - buy something else. VW's Customer Servive line is also a joke. I can't remember the last time I had to call the Manufacturer to get a problem addressed - I thought that was what the dealership was for!

Fix the electrical system - it doesn't work!

I love my Touareg!
By sammy

2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I love the way it drives with a lack of road noise. We have driven it in driving snow, hot weather, pouring rain- it hugged the road! In the snow, rain and ice- there was no slippage at all. I have a dark green/lt gray interior model. Tho only thing I would change is the availablity to get the US spec. asseccories in Europe!

Love the heated seats and sun/moon roof, power windows, and the system the wheels are built on with the computer monitor system

I'm not so crazy about the tire pressure monitor...Sounds great but mine is having issues with alerting us when nothing is wrong... Could it be the temperture changes while driving, who knows?