Used 2004 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews - 590 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen Touareg

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Flawed Design
By blankfiend

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

I'd like to meet the genius who designed this beast.
I was just informed by my dealer that to change the liquid cooled alternator would involve 14 hours of labor to pull the engine and cost $2118.00!!

wouldnt recommend to my worst enemy!
By cwhitfield

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

this car has given us so many headaches and there's not enough tylenol or advil to go around!
we take care of our vehicles religously and do not drive them into the ground.
within 13 months the following:
rear drive shaft @ $2000 - yep, i said TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!!

this has 2 fuel pumps - so if the primary goes, so does the secondary!
Primary @ $900; and the secondary @ $500 = $1300 - it poses itself as an alternator problem, but nope - it gets more expensive because its the fuel pumps!

as for the battery - yes, primary and secondary too!
and theyre an ass to get to..so good luck.
you'd probably save yourself a few hundred if you did this yourself

lets just continue because, besides the leather and trunk space cover, there's no other likes. notice when your airbag light comes on, this can be costly too! theyll have to replace the wiring and the driver seat because the seat is mangling the cabeling to the airbag sensor! about $600 oh, then there's the ignition switch. yeah, you know, where you put your key in - maybe the cheapest fix, but if your loval VW or city doenst have this in stock, it'll take a week or 2 to get - so guess that means, they glue it together and tell you to be carefull...that's what VW told us! Customer care, i think not. regular maintence isnt too bad, but if that's all you think its gonna be;you're wrong

they could improve the entire car for that matter. besides the car not carrying any value at all, so dont bother trading it in unless you plan on putting at least $5 to $6 grand down youre gonna be negative on it;even in good cond, you wont get more than $9k. it eats up gas so youre really getting 13/city; 18/hwy - miles to the gallon, and now w/gas prices over 4.25 youre looking @ $90 a week! that's $360 a month! for those who havent had problems, youre time is coming - good luck with that - hope youve put $ to the side for when it leaves you stranded. beware, we were told even the porsche cheyenne is just as bad!! 1st yr models suck! *all prices provided by VW dealer & owner experience*

Amazing Vehicle
By speedle44

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Love this Vehicle! I see a lot of bad reviews but honestly if you take good care of your car then you won't have problems! Do not buy this vehicle if your money is tight because repairs can be expensive. I have had no trouble with my touareg I LOVE IT!! Super sporty & you feel totally in control when you drive it also very safe! I have never been stranded! JUST KEEP UP WITH OIL CHANGES & REGULAR MAINTENANCE and trust me you'll be fine!

Leg room

Been a great car for us
By VW Fan

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

The car has the amenities of a luxury car, handles like a sports car, has the power of a muscle car, all with great off road capabilities. 100K+ miles and has never left us stranded. The body style doesn't show its age and still turns heads on the road. We live in the country and it has survived the gravel roads as an everyday driver for my wife. Its great for travel (other than the mileage) and gives a sense of safety and security no matter the driving conditions.

The car just seems to feel the road and is a pleasure to drive. The cabin is luxurious and comfortable. It gets around great in the rain and snow.

Could be more leg room in back. The hands free controls don't change stations or functions on the stereo. Gas mileage (17/20) could be a lot better. Tires and normal maintenance costs are high.

2004 Touareg
By GrayZ0ne

2004 Volkswagen Touareg V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I only drive a few miles to my studio daily, but about 12 times a year I go to the Mojave Desert to do landscape photography. I find the Touareg an excellent ORV for my purposes and consider it a unique vehicle for its combination of highway manners and off-road capability. The low MPG is understandable given the vehicle's weight, but could be better.

Comfort, interior style, off-road capability, highway handling.

Lighter weight, better MPG and more power.