Used 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Great Performance but worried about reliability
By Jeff

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Wolfsburg Edition 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Being a multiple VW owner I picked up this car for my wife used, 3 years old with 28K miles. I enjoy driving it but I am somewhat worried about future problems. I do most work on my cars and the Tiguan is a challenge. At 78k the water pump started leaking. I saw the cost to replace the pump is about $1,200.00 and found out why. Since the pump is not on the timing chain or serpentine belt it is buried deep in the engine on the front the of engine block. Many parts have to be removed and the placement of the bracket holding up the throttle body was completely idiotic. I think the book time to change the pump is 8 hours plus the part at $360 and you are at $1,200.00. There is also an issue with the VW 2.0 TSi engine of this year having carbon build up on the intake valves. When I pulled the intake I found the carbon build up (due to the engine design) and believe that all engines will have this problem. Burning premium does not prevent this but is recommend because of the turbo. I clean the port separators but will do the ports and valves later. Too much carbon build up with cause problems with cold starts, engine idle and eventually throw a check engine light but I have not experienced this. The other issue that I have is with the turbo. Check engine light came on and code indicated a boost problem. I replaced the appropriate valve but still had the problem. After doing some research it seems that the problem is with the turbo waste gate. The issue here is that VW used a turbo with the waste gate built into the turbo and this is why some who have posted had to replace the turbo. Mine only occurs in the summer when the temperatures are mid 90's plus and with AC on so most of the year there is no problem. The other common problem is the timing chain tensioner. A design flaw allows for the tensioner to pop loose, the chains skip and the valves hit the pistons and motor is dead. There is a kit that you can buy for about $250 (tensioner and cover) that will replace the stock with an updated tensioner. It is about a 2 hour job to replace. I change the oil every 5k miles with full synthetic and this probably helps but I plan on upgrading the tensioner. The only real repairs that I have had to do besides the water pump and turbo pressure relief valve is two control arms for the suspension. I probably didn't need to do this put the shop where I take the car for alignments talked me into it. The car itself drives and handles great. Good handling in the snow even without snow tires and is fun to drive. Controls are easily laid out and logical and the seats are comfortable even for long drives. Good space to a compact SUV. Gas mileage is a bit less than you might expect from a 2.0 liter but nothing terrible. About 24.5 mpg on highway (70-75 mph) and around 18 mpg town and suburban. Paint job is good and still nice after 7+ years. Only fault with interior is that drivers seat base has cracked on one bolster side (was like this when I bought it). It is the synthetic leather and maybe the previous owner did something to it ? I will acknowledge that the VW is not as reliable as its Japanese counterparts but is way better handling, quicker and loads more fun to drive. Maintain it properly and it shouldn't be too bad.

Great car until the turbo blows out the engine
By CB

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Wolfsburg Edition 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My 2010 Tiguan looks brand new. I loved the car. I've driven it about 97k highway miles. Took it to mechanic after check engine light kept coming on. The car became noisy and ran rough. The mechanic (who I've had for years and has advised me regarding all of my vehicles & never failed me yet) said it might be just plugs or such. He went through my engine & said it looked like the turbo was blowing out 2 of the cylinders. The check engine light continued to come back on after replacing the plugs and working on whatever else could cause such a problem. (I don't know much about engines) & he said I should get rid of the vehicle as quickly as possible as a repair to fix the problem would be extremely expensive and not worth it. I looked for a recall notice and saw that many folks are having this same problem. I've actually kept the vehicle rather than trading it in. I was offered $3500 trade in and I don't think the dealership where I purchased my new vehicle even realized it had a problem. They looked at the vehicle and did not road test it. I would hate to see someone else purchase my old car and get stuck with really big problem. I have 2 other vehicles. One with 89k miles and one with close to 200k miles. I take good care of my cars.

Be Warned - Tiguan TSI Engine Major Failure
By R Spurzem

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Be warned! The 4-cylinder TSI engine in the Tiguan is known for failure due to timing belt issues. The fix is a "new engine". If you are shopping for a used Tiguan in the 2009 and 2010 years, ask if the engine has been replaced. I am telling you this from experience. My Tiguan is at the mechanic now getting a new engine. The mechanic said, "I see these TSI motors used in the VW Tiguan and other VW models all the time".
Update: engine is replaced for approx. $5,000.

The worst car I've ever owned/leased, 2010 Tiguan!
By BobVilla

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I leased this car for three years, then financed it for three and a half years. I figured that it hadn't had any issues and why not just own it since I only drive it to and from the train station everyday (average about 7k miles a year). I took care of the car. Made all scheduled oil changes and check ups at the dealership @ Curran in Stratford CT. This past year has been a complete nightmare. I looked forward to finally having no payments which was going to end in July 2016. In May the waterpump went ($1200). Of course the warranty ended in Jan. I only had 44,000 miles, but the 5 years was up. About a month later the light popped on again. This time I was told it was the turbo. So I just replaced the sensor ($350) and more recently got a new turbo installed ($2700). Meanwhile, I'm now told there is oil leaking in 3 places. Each of these replacements will cost about $400 each (another $1200). I don't have the money to fix the leaks. So I have to hold off for now. So now I don't have any car payments. But I have already spent $4250 this year, with another $1200 for the leaks starting in 2017!

Nice looking car but most unreliable
By John

2010 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car for my wife and we started having issue with it after 4 years. We had to fix the water pump twice (more than 1200$ each time) wehad to fix the clutch 3000$ repair. Stay away from this car. I can't trust it anymore with my wife and kids.