Used 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews - 138 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

They Leak - Severe Mold/Mildew Issues
By John Gillis

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

OK, the Tiguan is a beautiful vehicle. Performance, handling and finish are best in class. However I have had a serious problem develop in mine, that is related to poor build quality. Mine leaks. Water was entering through back doors and seemingly the front fire wall. This precipitated and extremely bad mildew infestation and the car become undrivable. It is currently with the dealer, after 4 weeks, and they still cannot get rid of the mildew odor. Carpet, underlay, cushions, the works has been infected with this smell (spores). So if you are buying this car be very careful. Car has not been fixed. I have requested it be replaced as it is a very serious health issue.

Drive Quality

Fix the obvious leak problems, or fabrication problems that resulted in said leaks.

Tiguan tiger and iguana for real
By daniel

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The tiger represents the speed of this car. Iguana for the luxury and smoothness. Amazing car. I think this is the best car I have ever owned I can't even tell you how much this car has impressed me

Very good car
By george

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car skeptical but this car has really proved its self to me and my wife. Every day at least 50 miles a day this car is a work horse this car is amazingly fun to drive I have bought other SUV in my lifetime and never one like this. I thought it would have many electrical problems but none I would highly recommend this car to anyone that has a family or one thats going to last.

heated seats and panoramic sunroof

none

What's up with the brakes?
By Second Thoughts

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I owned my car for 3 months and the brakes started squeaking. Took it to dealer who says brakes had a little dust and they clean them. One month later same and worse. Rain, early morning worst, but sunshine too. I'm simply embarrassed that I drive a new car with less than 10,000 miles that screams like it needs a serious brake job, that's dust? Never had any stopping problems and love the car otherwise. More later when dealer looks at the car again. Not too happy right now.

Quick and sassy! I loved my obnoxious Durango for its 8c acceleration--love this passing and maneuverability.

Please. regular gas model. Also, the radio is a blah, so, so throw-back. How about a little upgrade without the $800.00 expense?

Fun to Drive
By VW in Colorado

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

On the day of the 2nd anniversary of buying this car I turned over 72,000 miles - so we have had a lot of experience with this car. This car is fun to drive and the sunroof is great! The Tiguan displays a lot of info on the dash and every month there is something that needs to be serviced or looked at. If you take the car to anyone other than the dealership then the warning light will not be reset. You will still have to go to the dealership or it will bing at you every time you start the car and the warning light will be on. Most of the bells and warning lights are annoying and not major defects. Due to the constant high maintenance on this car - I will not purchase another VW.

Sunroof, gas mileage

Parking brake is next to cup holder - spilled soda corroded wiring. Passenger seat and headrest is not comfortable after 1 hour drive. Warning lights do not reset themselves so a simple low tire pressure light has to be taken to dealership to be turned off.