Used 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews - 138 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Lots of issues with the tiguan
By lbrosco

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

First I want to start out by saying I am glad I found this site, because after reading most of the posts on here I realize I am not alone. Normally I don't post to sites like this but if this stuff helps somebody else going through what I am going through then it's worth it. I bought my car in Arizona in november of 2009 so I have owned it for 1 yr 4 1/2 mths. I will list the problems I have incurred so far. By the way I now live in northern California and I have apprx 30,000 miles.

Satellite radio always says linking
Back up camera gets stuck
Drivers side cornering light went out
Brakes jerk when stopping abruptly even at slower speed
Emergency brake sticks
Burns out cell phone chargers- gone through 5 oem
Sensor had to be replaced.
Mold inside my car! For the past few months we have been getting a lot of rain in northern California. I have noticed a lot of moisture on the inside of my car, mainly on the windows. I have to dry it every morning with a towel. It would be too much for a defroster to handle. I didn't think anything of it other than it being a pain in the butt. This morning I noticed mold growing underneath all 4 of my floor mats. I removed them from my car and wiped down the carpets with resolve carpet cleaner. I wasn't able to get it all because it is growing under the seats as well. This is a huge problem for me because I am allergic to mold. I have broken out in hives and didn't realize that was the cause.

Cornering lights Sunroof Design

Fixing the known issues

Vehicle Rollover Safety
By Tiguan Rollover

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just FYI: Purchased this vehicle for my wife; last week she was side-swiped by a taxi. Car rolled over on one side (driver's side), then righted itself and landed on top of a third vehicle with 2 wheels in the air. The build on the vehicle saved her life; without the driver's side airbags, my wife would be gone!!! Insurance is replacing the vehicle, and I'm getting her a Tiguan again. Thank goodness for VW!!!

Driver's Side Airbags!

POOR PERFORMANCE ENGINE
By N H

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

From the start witht he purchase of this vehicle I have had nothing but issues. First the dealship messed up the paperwork and we were called back in at least 3 times. NOW after a year old the engine just stopped on the PA turnpike, stranded me there for 3 days. The dealer said that the fuel injector ALREADY needs to be replaced! VW left us out there with no help! They said because I was over my warranty by a 1000 miles. Nice 1st time I have ever bought a VW and will be the last! MY GM car's never gave me issues like this in such a new car. Oh and CD's get caught in the CD player, it grinds, but maintenance said it's ok!!

size

ENGINE, front seat squeeks, CD player.

Fuel Injectors
By Tiguan

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought this car, needing a small SUV for work and had a lot of problems. Since January, its been in the dealership 6 times with fuel injector problems....all under warranty but its getting really frustrating. The last time it was in the dealership, all the fuel injectors were completely replaced and we were hoping that the problem would be solved. Earlier this week- it was the same, driving and the check engine light comes on, then it shakes and acts like its choking, then it dies and gets towed into the dealership.

Tiguan Review at over 48,000 miles
By Butch

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We have had this car for over two years and have driven it over 48,000 miles and have had only one problem. The right front head light assembly. The mechanic wrote it up as a problem of the internal mechanical malfunction of the headlight assembly. Other than that our Tiguan has been a pleasure to own and drive.

Ride and comfort when driving long distances.

Diesel engine would be a very nice option in this vehicle. I have owned a number of VW diesels and I don't think you can beat them.