Used 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

I will not get another VW again -
By jaypc6711

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

As a prior VW fan (4 times) ..It was with great regret I had to report back to Edmunds how shoddy I thought the Tiguan 2009 model was. I see we're well into the 2011 timeframe now and newer versions are out, however, problems still persist. Sure, the service teams get it taken care of and paperwork is smoothed over.
Driving it out of the dealership on Day 1 was pure bliss, but one seriously short-lived. The issue is with engine / instrumentation and vehicle performance. I had multiple Electronic Power Steering and Engine checklights appear during the past 2 years recently towed back by VW. I would be hard-pressed to get another VW

The shape of the car is intriguing and attractive to the eye. It packs a lot of power and sporty...I can see why its easy to market this car.

The rear window soap dispenser /window washer ends up running a soap streak down the car once used. You end up having to wipe it down to avoid noticing that slight design flaw....have not had this on my other VW models I've owned.

DO NOT BUY - LEMON
By dontbuytiguan

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car is the biggest lemon i have ever purchased at 44000 miles i have had to spend over 2000 dollars in non warranty computer repairs on the car is still not fixed correctly. I am giving the car back early cause i am afraid of how much more this car will cost me if i keep it the last 8 months of my lease. I would rather give the car back and pay off the eat the rest of the lease. Do not buy

DO NOT BUY

LEMON

Best Vehicle I have owned
By cpogordon

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned my Tiguan since October 2008 and have never had a problem.
The 2.0 Turbo engine is fantastic and gives you the acceleration you need when you push down on the gas pedal.
The transmission is smooth and both the interior and exterior are built with quality materials.
This is the best vehicle I have owned in my over 30 years of driving.
In addition, I was T-boned by a driver who ran a Red light doing 30 – 40 mph who crash strait into my driver’s door and walked away without a scratch due to the safety features and quality build of the Tiguan.
As to people who complain about pulsating brakes during hard braking – that’s call Antilock brakes.
Also, if you have a sunroof you need to close it when it rains.
That will cut down on your mold problems.

2.0 Turbo Transmission

Leatherette seats on S models.

Lots of issues with the tiguan
By lbrosco

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

First I want to start out by saying I am glad I found this site, because after reading most of the posts on here I realize I am not alone. Normally I don't post to sites like this but if this stuff helps somebody else going through what I am going through then it's worth it. I bought my car in Arizona in november of 2009 so I have owned it for 1 yr 4 1/2 mths. I will list the problems I have incurred so far. By the way I now live in northern California and I have apprx 30,000 miles.

Satellite radio always says linking
Back up camera gets stuck
Drivers side cornering light went out
Brakes jerk when stopping abruptly even at slower speed
Emergency brake sticks
Burns out cell phone chargers- gone through 5 oem
Sensor had to be replaced.
Mold inside my car! For the past few months we have been getting a lot of rain in northern California. I have noticed a lot of moisture on the inside of my car, mainly on the windows. I have to dry it every morning with a towel. It would be too much for a defroster to handle. I didn't think anything of it other than it being a pain in the butt. This morning I noticed mold growing underneath all 4 of my floor mats. I removed them from my car and wiped down the carpets with resolve carpet cleaner. I wasn't able to get it all because it is growing under the seats as well. This is a huge problem for me because I am allergic to mold. I have broken out in hives and didn't realize that was the cause.

Cornering lights Sunroof Design

Fixing the known issues

Vehicle Rollover Safety
By Tiguan Rollover

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Just FYI: Purchased this vehicle for my wife; last week she was side-swiped by a taxi. Car rolled over on one side (driver's side), then righted itself and landed on top of a third vehicle with 2 wheels in the air. The build on the vehicle saved her life; without the driver's side airbags, my wife would be gone!!! Insurance is replacing the vehicle, and I'm getting her a Tiguan again. Thank goodness for VW!!!

Driver's Side Airbags!