Used 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews - 138 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

Lots of issues
By bkhal

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I leased the 2009 Tiguan and after doing that I will never buy another VW again.
Within the first 6 months one of the door handles came off in my hand.
I had it put back on but it would fall off every few months.
I also had severe leakage problems with my sunroof and had the interior ceiling reupholstered- twice.
This car has serious moisture problems and the windows are completely fogged up every day.
I need to keep a towel in my car to wipe down the window everytime I need to drive somewhere.
The mildew smell is awful and there is growing in the car.
I'm grossed out by the car & can't wait to get rid of it.
It's ashame b/c it's adorable and drives well- just has too many issues.

Back seats slide front and back. Heated seats.

VW needs to fix the moisture issue. This is a health risk.

Jury still out
By msul

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I love (d) this car until it stranded me on a highway in France for no reason at all.
15,000 miles on the car and after driving 900 miles in two days it just stopped on a bridge 10 minutes from our destination.
Now, the French VW dealership has had my car for 3 days and has no idea what the issue is.
Who knows what the outcome will be, but service from VW is definitely lacking.
Doesn't help that the French work 9-5 with a two hour break in the middle of the day either.

Now I have spent most of my vacation on the phone trying to get this resolved before Friday comes since they don't work on weekends.

I will not get another VW again -
By jaypc6711

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

As a prior VW fan (4 times) ..It was with great regret I had to report back to Edmunds how shoddy I thought the Tiguan 2009 model was. I see we're well into the 2011 timeframe now and newer versions are out, however, problems still persist. Sure, the service teams get it taken care of and paperwork is smoothed over.
Driving it out of the dealership on Day 1 was pure bliss, but one seriously short-lived. The issue is with engine / instrumentation and vehicle performance. I had multiple Electronic Power Steering and Engine checklights appear during the past 2 years recently towed back by VW. I would be hard-pressed to get another VW

The shape of the car is intriguing and attractive to the eye. It packs a lot of power and sporty...I can see why its easy to market this car.

The rear window soap dispenser /window washer ends up running a soap streak down the car once used. You end up having to wipe it down to avoid noticing that slight design flaw....have not had this on my other VW models I've owned.

DO NOT BUY - LEMON
By dontbuytiguan

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car is the biggest lemon i have ever purchased at 44000 miles i have had to spend over 2000 dollars in non warranty computer repairs on the car is still not fixed correctly. I am giving the car back early cause i am afraid of how much more this car will cost me if i keep it the last 8 months of my lease. I would rather give the car back and pay off the eat the rest of the lease. Do not buy

DO NOT BUY

LEMON

Best Vehicle I have owned
By cpogordon

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have owned my Tiguan since October 2008 and have never had a problem.
The 2.0 Turbo engine is fantastic and gives you the acceleration you need when you push down on the gas pedal.
The transmission is smooth and both the interior and exterior are built with quality materials.
This is the best vehicle I have owned in my over 30 years of driving.
In addition, I was T-boned by a driver who ran a Red light doing 30 – 40 mph who crash strait into my driver’s door and walked away without a scratch due to the safety features and quality build of the Tiguan.
As to people who complain about pulsating brakes during hard braking – that’s call Antilock brakes.
Also, if you have a sunroof you need to close it when it rains.
That will cut down on your mold problems.

2.0 Turbo Transmission

Leatherette seats on S models.