Used 2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV Consumer Reviews - 138 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV

View reviews for a specific Tiguan model:

6 Month Review
By NMar

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After researching what kind of SUV I wanted, I decided on the Tiguan. Happen to be in Florida on vac, they had a good deal, I bought and drove the car to New York. Drive was a lot of fun. Vehicle seems solid, firm ride. I get asked about it by passerbys. Brake is very responsive, quite interior. Some minor issues I do have: motorized driver reclining seat, but manual pump lever to elevate and move seat..why not motorize all, summer humidity seems to bring out a bad smell from air exhaust when it's not on a/c, engine is powerful, but there seems to be a delay in responsiveness when u go from braking to quickly accelerating, but then it eventually picks up when you press harder on the pedal

I like the interior and exterior look, Good quality interior finish even with the cloth option, 6 mo free satellite radio, firm ride, minimal road noise, sturdy roof frame construction. SE was the better option for me since it came with many standards.

Motorize all driver seat adjustment, not just back support. Do same on pass side. I need to investigate unpleasant humidity smell. I do wish the rear luggage compartment is a bit larger. Also, need to improve gas mileage a bit more. I do get 22mpg city which is ok, I guess.

Best option
By carlos

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV S 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I got my 2009 Tig in may of 2008 before better deals were to be had. Oh well... I love the car itself. It has been great and I get complements on it all the time. People stop me to ask about it. I sometimes wish I would've splurged and gotten the one with the sunroof. The car is great in city and hwy and I'm amazed at how well it insulates outside noise. Feels very solid throughout. I agree with some comments about the black upholstery, it is a hair magnet. I had an issue with a faulty fuel pump which was quickly replaced under warranty. That's been the only issue I currently have 11K miles in the Tig.

engine but the TDI (diesel) would be awseome

none

The good, the bad, the ugly
By crd

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD w/Leather (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After one year... I love the power, handling and design of this car. I was looking for a sporty, fast cuv that could still accommodate a three year old and all that entails. This car does that. That being said, driving home from the dealer I noticed (it was at night) I could only see 3 ft ahead of me. Took car back to find lights were ill- positioned. 6 months later I had to get the fuel pump replaced. Already had to get burned out drivers head lamp replaced and there is an awful squeek inside that I can't seem to find/fix. I like the car but am wary about what to expect in year 2. Imo, quality is really lacking. I am thinking of trading it in already, which saddens me as it is fun to drive.

handling/performance and unique look. love the full size sunroof!

I hear it is feast or famine with VW's. I fear if I keep this car I am going to spend a lot of time at the dealer. Also the antenna is too tall so when I put car in the garage it scrapes. Just waiting for that to break off....

1500 miles so far-very fun, look'n good
By Susansocal

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had my new White SE Tiguan for 1 month and I am really enjoying driving again. I sold my 9 year old Camry and do not miss it one bit (it was very reliable but BORING, yet the gas mileage was great). I can't rate the reliability yet, but so far I am very pleased, and no real quality issues to address, but I do agree that the Turbo is rather jerky at times and leaving from a stop light turning right it is jerky accelerating to get going, almost like I am driving a stick in a low gear (which I do not have the manual, and I have no need or desire to use the shifting option). The dealer really came down on the sticker price - I got the pricing below a comparable Honda CRV/or RAV4.

The Cabin is very quiet which I love. Very peppy, fast and fun. Very comfortable interior. I love the all black interior.

Turbo is rather jerky. Ipod integration could be more upscale. Prefer a larger gas tank, have to fill up every 300 miles.

Wish it was bigger but love the features
By Colorado Mtns

2009 Volkswagen Tiguan SUV SEL 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I came from a Land Rover LR3 to a 2009 Tiguan. Love the same features of the Land Rover, but disappointed about the room inside. I have (2) dogs and cannot fit much else except them. Also cannot get over the fact there are no armrests in the middle, having to use the console seems odd. Also just ran over a nail on one of the tires and have to have it replaced. The 18" Pirelli's that are on the Tiguan are on national backorder - odd sized tire as well. Not sure if they are good snow tires from what I have researched on the Pirelli website. Gas mileage not what I expected, only averaging 21 mpg on the highway. Overall not quite sure I made the best choice. Should have stayed in my LR3

Navigation and that all of the controls are on the screen.

Armrests in the middle. More storage. Noisy on the hwy.