Used 2010 Volkswagen Routan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 Volkswagen Routan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

By fshifteh

2010 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Ent, Nav (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This is a follow up to my earlier post. I have had this car for 9 months now. There has been a few areas that I had issues. First all my brakes had to be replaced at 10k miles due to vibration in steering. The dealer did this under Warranty. Second, I has issues with putting the 2nd row seat back, as it was stuck and could not remove it or put it back, as a result the dealer replaced the seat frame free of charge. The 3rd issue was some creaking noise that would come from driver's door while driving on certain bump which was very irritating and after taking to 2 different dealerships, the second dealer lubricated the driver side door hinges and that took care of the issue.

Overall this is a good family van and I still believe that in general it is comfortable. There is plenty of room for moving people and gear around. The exterior look is good and the VES is very handy for keeping kids busy. Also the VW's Care Free Maintenance is definitely a great feature.

I have the 3.8L engine which gives me anywhere between 13.5 - 14.5 mpg in the city. I think that could have been improved. Additionally I think the engine is underpowered to some extent. Since I live in a hilly place in Southern California, I can feel that sometimes the engine is struggling to accelerate moving uphill. Also the brakes and rotors need to be improved. I know they are Chrysler brakes and as a former Chrysler employee, I know that Chrysler cars don't have long lasting brakes and rotors as I experienced this in my 3 other Chrysler cars. Another area that can be improved is having some sort of Stow-n-Go for the 2nd row seats, as currently they can't be moved back and forth.

2010 Routan SE w/RSE and NAVI
By rxjava

After test driving the Toyota, Chrysler, Dodge, Kia and Honda minivans we settled on the Routan. Of the minivans tested the dashboard/instrument panel and gauges of the Routan give the appearance of an upscale car and does not scream minivan. The faux metal strip is convincing and is more refined compared to cheesy faux wood. Seats are comfortable and operation of controls are intuitive. The ride is quiet and taut with good steering input. The 3.8L V-6 is more than adequate around town.
We live close to the Sierras and the van performs adequately going up steep grades although the engine will rev at higher RPMs. Shifts to the lower gear are nearly imperceptible

Dual DVD screens, IR headphones, Navigation, space, seat comfort. Power lift gate and power sliding doors. Touch screen stereo

Easier access to third row. Change to a Toggle switch for power mirrors. Make more content standard (i.e auto headlights, power inverter, etc)

Very Pleased with our SEL Routan
By stjohns

2010 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

After over a year of trouble free ownership we can recommend the Routan as a high quality family frendly van. Feature and handling have been 1st class. VW carefree service at zero cost is risk free. A lot of after market products can be purchased at great prices thanks to T & C sibling. to high volume siblings at Chysler.

Handling is great. Power slider doors are a kid assist feature we like. 4.0 V6 is very quick.

None. Like the sporty feel.

Disapointed
By Uber

2010 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Drives and rides well for a minivan. Motor and transmission seem OK. This van has had many recalls and just stopped tonight all the lights / electronics went out and the motor died. We drifted off the road - it restarted. It already rattles / fan belts squeak Drivers side window doesn't work. DVD screens block rear view mirror. Feels cheap. AC really isn't cold for a brand new car. Something is wrong with the tuning the fuel economy is not nearly what it is rated for. VW put lipstick on this pig. Do more research before you buy one.

It does drive well for a minivan and all the bells and whistles are nice but not if its not going to run more than 25,000 miles.

The DVD screens are a hazard. It's a cheap Chrysler. Build a VW from the ground up - remake he VW camper van with the little TDI engine. It's to bad this great German company tried to dress up a Chrysler.

Overall a good minivan
By Frank

I am a Chrysler employee and I was in the market to lease a Town & Country to replace my existing T&C, but I found that even with employee pricing the Town & Country lease was so expensive in Southern California, so instead I opted for a Routan which is slightly cheaper than the T&C but has a much better lease pricing. The reason is because of its better residual value. Routan has the Chrysler DNA but I personally like it better than the similar T&C. My only issue is the gas mileage which I usually get around 14 in the city and 18 on freeways. One fact that most people don't know is that the 4.0L engine has slightly better gas mileage than the 3.8L, but unfortunately I could find any.

Overall comfort, Dual DVD players, hard disk and the U-Connect. This vehicle is ideal for long family trips. I would doubt if kids say "are we there yet?".

Improved gas mileage. Also make the seats stowable like T&C.