Used 2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

Buy Something Else
By TO

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We are completely dissatisfied with this van. Nothing but transmission issues. Trans. leaked at 2800 mi, failed and was rebuilt at 8600 mi and valve body replaced again at 10,000 mi. Dealer had it for 10 out of the first 51 wks. Typical for a Chrysler based product. VW should be ashamed to have their badge on this van. Other issues, creaking noises from the RES and door panels. Rattling noises in the suspension. Power lift gate was malfunctioning. Rotors replaced at 600 mi. At one year old and 11,000 miles you should not have to worry about the vehicle falling apart. The MPG is poor, 12 in town,21 at best on Prem fuel on a trip. Using the Lemon Law for the trans. issues. Buy Toyota or Honda

Dual screen RES. Comfortable seating. Touch screen control for radio and RES. Handling for a van. Kids loved the heated rear seats during the winter.

VW needs to build their own van. Break the ties with Chrysler.

Great Van
By J

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

This van is amazing.To bad it looks so much like a chrysler product, I think that really hurts it credibility. I spent 2 weeks in Sanfrancisco area and never saw one any where not even on my 1,200 mile drive there, nor have I seen one in washington where I live.This van is amazing, drives like a dream and is very comfortable for my fam of 6. The 4.0 v6 has lots of power and shifts so smooth, it has a raspy exaust that reminds me of an infinity suv. The projector beam head lamps turn night into day. I told my wife its vary funny that I sit and boast about my van as my friend is boasting about his new Lexus IS 250... I guess the van makes me forget I am driving a van,, I am impressed.

Projector beam headlamps, and the sound of the exaust,

Looks to much like a dodge product.

Cool Family hauler
By St John

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We love the Routan or as my wife named it Rudy. So many family frendly features. The style is unique, sporty and not too common. GET the 4.0 v6 w/ 6 speed. The engine is quick and smooth. We get 22 mpg on hwy & 18 city. VW has been great to work with too.

Power doors w/ operable windows.

TDI maybe.

Dont Make My Mistake.
By Gregg

Not impressed, what a mistake. The transmission shifts way too often. The around town mileage is horrible. (11) & to top it all off the dealership cat fix it properly because its actually a Chrysler. If you want a Town & Country then buy one at least Chrysler can fix it for you without having to run to the other dealership to obtain parts.

Good looking Exterior.

Dump the model line. Make your own minivan, Don't kill your reliable VW reputation with a Chrysler product. Absolutely Unbelievable.

A nice Ride
By Jerry

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This vehicle rides a lot better than the 61 bus we had in San Francisco. We feel we are back to our roots. We owned a couple of Caravans and I know this is mostly a Chrysler car but the addition of European technology gives it an added plus. Do miss the Stow--go however. We went into get a light bulb for my wife's Jetta and left with the 09 Routan. My son loves the second row seat heaters and the entertainment system. The seats are more comfortable than the Caravan and it rides quieter. Mileage is ok, good on a trip, not so good in town. We took one Caravan to 197,000 miles. Hope to do the same with the Routan.

Love all the cup holders and storage areas.

Needs one more cup holder.