Used 2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

Great Van
By busymom

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL CARB 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We converted from the Honda. Best thing we EVER did. This car is fun to drive and fun to ride in. It is much more quiet then the Honda. Our family has taken it on two long trips and it was so much more comfortable than the Honda. We read all the reviews and feel like the Routan was great by the experts, but the people who live with it liked it. We love it!

We do not have one favorite feature. We love the whole van. Our kids love getting in it.

The routan gets ok gas mileage, but we feel it could be better

Wish I Hadn't
By GirlyGirl

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought an SEL with Rear Entertainment to haul family of 6 around. Found it more comfortable than the Odyssey and was swayed by the power rear windows and dual TV's - 2 things Honda doesn't offer. 3rd row is horribly uncomfortable, cheap interior, and RES system is a nightmare to operate. The radio was replaced within 8 months of owning it and it rattles constantly. The gas mileage is awful for a mini- van. I've tried to get rid of it 2x but with the finance specials VW keeps running, I'm stuck.

Comfort, heated seats for 1st and 2nd row, dual TVs

Gas mileage, interior looks cheap, constant recalls, unreliable sliding doors

VW Loads it up
By sid

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Just want to say that I enjoy every little bit of this car. I got a good deal on it ($26,000) for a SE with Rear Entertainment for the kids. Doesn't have stow n go but has storage inside the floor(love it). Brand new is $31000, drives awesome and much more comfy than Sienna or Odyssey more stiffer then Sienna though but i like it myself. Check it out though1. Drives good 2VW warranty and care free maintenance + rear entertainment + XM radio sun roof can you get that with Toyota or Honda? They just marketed better and have been around longer.

Buy Something Else
By TO

We are completely dissatisfied with this van. Nothing but transmission issues. Trans. leaked at 2800 mi, failed and was rebuilt at 8600 mi and valve body replaced again at 10,000 mi. Dealer had it for 10 out of the first 51 wks. Typical for a Chrysler based product. VW should be ashamed to have their badge on this van. Other issues, creaking noises from the RES and door panels. Rattling noises in the suspension. Power lift gate was malfunctioning. Rotors replaced at 600 mi. At one year old and 11,000 miles you should not have to worry about the vehicle falling apart. The MPG is poor, 12 in town,21 at best on Prem fuel on a trip. Using the Lemon Law for the trans. issues. Buy Toyota or Honda

Dual screen RES. Comfortable seating. Touch screen control for radio and RES. Handling for a van. Kids loved the heated rear seats during the winter.

VW needs to build their own van. Break the ties with Chrysler.

Great Van
By J

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

This van is amazing.To bad it looks so much like a chrysler product, I think that really hurts it credibility. I spent 2 weeks in Sanfrancisco area and never saw one any where not even on my 1,200 mile drive there, nor have I seen one in washington where I live.This van is amazing, drives like a dream and is very comfortable for my fam of 6. The 4.0 v6 has lots of power and shifts so smooth, it has a raspy exaust that reminds me of an infinity suv. The projector beam head lamps turn night into day. I told my wife its vary funny that I sit and boast about my van as my friend is boasting about his new Lexus IS 250... I guess the van makes me forget I am driving a van,, I am impressed.

Projector beam headlamps, and the sound of the exaust,

Looks to much like a dodge product.