Used 2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

Worst invesment ever
By mojo

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I have 28,000k on my routan and I already changed brakes 2 times, stereo, and front end. I have problem with the transmission the sliding doors and the engine is burning oil. The dealer keeps ignoring me and delaying the repair process. They even denied it is burning oil until I took it to them and asked them to check it for and they came to tell me it is fine so I took it to a mechanic and he confirmed it is burning oil then they said the engine breather is. I cannot sell it or trade it because its value sunk in the ground especially when they stopped making it.

Likes and dislikes
By kjthomas323

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL CARB 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Very poor city driving mileage. We came from an Odyssey so we were surprised at this. The interior leather looks cheap (thanks to the Chrysler design). The kids constantly bump their heads on the DVD players when going in and out of the vehicle so keeping the screens closed helps! Other than that, we have not taken it on a long trip, so I can't judge comfort or gas mileage fully. It has 6k miles on it and I hope we are one of the lucky ones that does not incur any mechanical issues. We love the sched. maint. We love the options i.e. remote start and heated rear seats, for the money it is a good deal. I have owned 4 VW's so far. Hope this one is built just as well.?! Only time will tell

Remote start, power doors, Xm radio, Exterior styling. Dual video screens, heated seats. Tailgating style power rear seat. The sound of the exhaust. Window screens...

FUEL ECONOMY! Better quality brakes for this heavy of a vehicle. i.e. drum not four wheel disk. Interior seating quality/design i.e. looks too cheap/simple, not unlike a Chrysler.

Great Van
By busymom

We converted from the Honda. Best thing we EVER did. This car is fun to drive and fun to ride in. It is much more quiet then the Honda. Our family has taken it on two long trips and it was so much more comfortable than the Honda. We read all the reviews and feel like the Routan was great by the experts, but the people who live with it liked it. We love it!

We do not have one favorite feature. We love the whole van. Our kids love getting in it.

The routan gets ok gas mileage, but we feel it could be better

Wish I Hadn't
By GirlyGirl

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought an SEL with Rear Entertainment to haul family of 6 around. Found it more comfortable than the Odyssey and was swayed by the power rear windows and dual TV's - 2 things Honda doesn't offer. 3rd row is horribly uncomfortable, cheap interior, and RES system is a nightmare to operate. The radio was replaced within 8 months of owning it and it rattles constantly. The gas mileage is awful for a mini- van. I've tried to get rid of it 2x but with the finance specials VW keeps running, I'm stuck.

Comfort, heated seats for 1st and 2nd row, dual TVs

Gas mileage, interior looks cheap, constant recalls, unreliable sliding doors

VW Loads it up
By sid

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Just want to say that I enjoy every little bit of this car. I got a good deal on it ($26,000) for a SE with Rear Entertainment for the kids. Doesn't have stow n go but has storage inside the floor(love it). Brand new is $31000, drives awesome and much more comfy than Sienna or Odyssey more stiffer then Sienna though but i like it myself. Check it out though1. Drives good 2VW warranty and care free maintenance + rear entertainment + XM radio sun roof can you get that with Toyota or Honda? They just marketed better and have been around longer.