Used 2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

problems
By carguy

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this van for about a year and a half and the transmission has gone out twice now. The first time was at 6k miles and the second was at 15k. On top of that they kept my van in the shop for 2 months the first time and one month the second. That's 3 months without my van. I've heard every excuse in the book, couldn't get all the parts, their tech wasn't qualified so they had to wait on an out of state tech to come in to fix it. Volkswagen's customer care were very nice and apologetic but couldn't get anything resolved. Every decision they make seemed to take a week. It's been a month and I still don't have my van back, still waiting on parts and they are very sorry. It's been a month

Better than Dodge or Chrysler
By jbanger

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I know this is a Chrysler product but Routan does perform better. I compared to Town & Country rental. Routan is more responsive and comfortable. The exhaust is raspy and I fear the sliding doors will be a future pain. I think the brakes are not enough for this large vehicle. The 2nd row seats are a little sticky to move. Warranty is great.

Exterior is great looking. Seats are clean and comfortable. Smooth Suspension

Quiet the exhaust. Add a little more HP. Make roof racks standard. Beef up the brakes.

Turn and never look back
By tn_sunshyne

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

This van has been plagued by numerous problems, rotor/ brake issues (replaced 4 times on the front and 2 times on the rear), check engine light/ thermostat issues 4 times, drivers side window problems, remote start problems. Has been in dealer repair shop for more then 30 days since owning it 15 months. Poor gas mileage. Trying to enforce the Lemon Law. It may be pretty on the inside and outside, but buyer beware, once warranty goes out,it's going to cost a lot to keep this vehicle on the road. This is not German Engineering at its finest. My Nissan Quest I traded for this was way better and more reliable then this van. I've learned my lesson the hard way and an expensive one at that!

The blue tooth/ hands free driving, the duel DVD entertainment package, the "monster" hardrive that can store 1,000's of CD's. Great storage. Steering wheel.

Redesign the rotors/brakes, more leg room in the second row, makes it very uncomfy for taller people seated there, 3rd row uncomfy as well. Just disappointed in the overall quaility and reliability!

Worst Purchase of my life
By becca

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This minivan is a lemon! Always at the dealership with something wrong. I had it for one year and already had 15,000 dollars worth of warrenty work. The transmission is slipping and the dealership says it is due to one tire being lower than the other? Yet when I explain that I pulled out of a gas station and the van would not shift gears until I pulled over and shut off to get it to shift in gear? Told me that this is a soccer mom van and not good for all the wear in tear of driving a hour each way to work 5 days a week. They also stated I should have purchased the Honda minivan it can stand the driving wear and tear? I wish I could get out of this car! What a lemon!

Quit Making this van!

Routan Rocks
By Kevin

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

*Exterior is beautiful (best looking minivan in my opinion) *Love the features (i.e. stow & go, power windows in rear dual sliders, sunroof, traction control, stability control, and much more) *Interior is improved over the Grand Caravan *Suspension is much better than Grand Caravan (thanks VW)

Looks, safety features, fun factor (if options are selected carefully)

Nothing