Used 2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 110 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

Trouble free - not so much....
By edsel4u

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL CARB 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought new June 2009 and now at 33,000 miles we have not had any major malfunctions. We'll own the Routan till the wheels fall off. It's an excellent transportation appliance and if people respect the Routan minivan for what it is, and for what it is not, they'll be satisfied too.

Update: 04/2016 Our family still owns the Routan. It now has 77,000 miles. Just replaced the transmission "solenoid" ($800.00) because it would not shift higher than 2nd gear. Frequent brake jobs, wheel bearings and alignments are required. I don't expect the Routan to last longer than 100k miles. It has become an exasperating vehicle to own. Will never buy another Chrysler/Fiat product again.

2010 Routon REL
By no_more_vws

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought a used (20k miles) one and its nothing but problems. Doesnt start all the time. New battery, new starter...wont start. While in gear and idleing forward it shakes the vehicle. At highway speed it surges like tranny slipping. Rear electric seat stopped working and its rarely used. Sliding door on passenger side makes a horrible noise when opening, was told its fine. Pulls to the right. 2 sets of tires in 40k miles. 3 alignments. I think this vehicle was wrecked and they didnt tell us. Bought one year old from dealer for $29k (less than book value) one year and 20k miles later its worth $19k??? WTF!! still owe $26k. Odyssey is next.

Nice entertainment system. Although you cannot watch a DVD from drivers seat like in our 2009 when in park. Quiet. Good gas mileage Leather seats dont appear to be all leather but comfortable.

Dont buy it. No suggestions to offer, its value drops WAY too much for the price you pay. Its a money pit and needs to be valued at half of its price.

Routan is fun & trouble free family van
By stjohns

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We have enjoyed our VW Routan SEL.
Quick acceleration and outstanding handling are feature we are most impressed with.
The layout and functionality is family friendly.
Power door & lift gate are flawless and convenient.

1)Handling 2) smooth engine 3) Cargo & seating 4) unique design, not too common 5) Zero cost VW maintenance 6) Favorite kid hauler

Pentastar V6 is great addition

VW Routan Brake Problems
By carshopper82

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan S 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased an 09 Routan, and have driven it for 33,000 miles since.
The van is nice and is perhaps the nicest minivan ride based on my experience.
However, there are a lot of design issues with it.
I have replaced the brakes all around including rotors, pads, and calipers three times - this at no cost because I documented to VW of America this is a design issue.
Similar vans from 2009 (Chrysler Town Country) had the same issues - my in-laws own it.
As you know, the Routan is a brand-labeled T&C.
Othe rissues pertain to transmission hoses.
So far VW has taken care of me but it is definitely a lemon.

VW service is awesome - I fee bad they have tarnished the brand when they started offering a Chrysler product. I have been loyal to VW for many years owning more than a dozen models over the years. I'd recommend they sell their products and stay away from factored products.

Brakes are under-sized for the weight (mass) of the vehicle. This issue is in my opinion a product safety concern. Hope they will fix soon.

Sporty cruiser for the family
By groovyvwroutan

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We have owned our SEL for 2 years. Totally satisfied with this spirted and practical vehicle.
VW no cost service is excellent and makes the experience of owning a Routan easy. We have had zero out of pocket except gas. We will go back in a few years and get another VW.

Leather is nice.

Handling is 1st class. Easy for the kids to load in & out. Storage and seating are well though out. Fuel economy is much better than our SUVs. 4.0 v6 is quick. New Pentastar looks good too.

I miss the days when a well equipped car was $18 K. Bring that back.