Used 2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan

View reviews for a specific Routan model:

Been Great
By TheGoodDriver

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This is a follow-up from my previous review a yr ago. So far, everything's been great about this vehicle and it now has 15,500 miles, with no electrical/mechanical issues. The Routan's interior is the nicest of all minivans I've test-driven. Best of all, the ride comfort and quietness give me and my family a peace of mind, and I learned how very important it is to be able to carry a normal conversation on a long trip, which you cannot do if you're in other popular (for no real reason) minivans that produce wind/road noise. Chrysler's done an awesome job for the Routan and the VW's suspension's just ingenious¬ó makes it a luxury minivan, not an average utility vehicle for a family.

Unique dash, comfortable seats and LED dome lights.

Stronger engine for SE model.

Used Routan
By fq

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL Premium 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased routan because my wife did not want a minivan feel. This certainly does not, great suspension, reasonable engine, great technology with dual rear seat entertainment. I wanted the Sienna but my wife did not like the cush drive. The routan is tight but not rough.

GPS with sirius traffic with rerouting. Dual rear seat entertainment with ability to play separate movies; the 2 yr old watched elmo while the 6 year old watched planet 51

The Uconnect switch should be closer to the driver. Some of the external fixtures are not well fitted. The rear seat entertainment system reduces the height in the back and makes it harder for taller people to get in and out. Finally not enough storage. Wasted space under the seats and doors

like the interior a lot
By korax

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SEL 4dr Minivan w/Rear Seat Entertainment (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

We like many of the attributes of our VW Routon SEL. Recently however there has been trouble with the transmission. We again are very happy otherwise, and the repair is covered by the warranty. The kids love the entertainment system and the roominess is fine.

Entertainment system and interior roominess.

Better mileage perhaps would always be nice.

Pleasantly Surprised
By Skeptic

2009 Volkswagen Routan Minivan SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I was skeptical about buying this for all the reason noted in most car reviews but my wife loved it. It has turned out to be a great vehicle with no defects in the fist 4 months and 6,000 miles. Got a great price on it, better than Honda, Toyota or Chrysler. We have owned a VW, Toyota Camery, Infiniti, Audi, Mazda, and Volvo and they all have/had their issues with build quality and mechanical quirks. So far I am pleasantly surprised and for a minivan that we will eventually get trashed by kids this is a great vehicle. Also, the VW dealer was the only one willing to give loner car and free oil service for the life of the warranty. That's cool.

Sun roof and interior design

TDI

great minivan
By JHudds

I know there are people out there that poo poo the fact that the van is a Chrysler rebadge... Well I can say that this van is a great vehicle. Sure there are some lemons in every line of vehicle. But from what I have seen so far this VW is by far the best minivan out there. It has S P A C E everywhere. Drives like a dream, and is a great family uhaller. We love the styling that VW has done to the van and the suspension is great. It out handles my Pacifica, and WAY better then the Windstar we had before. We got a great deal on this and it qualified for the cash for clunkers! The MPG on the highway is decent, it falters a little in town though. BUt otherwise a great van!

Suspension and handling. Seats, Rear entertainment a must have for a family. Seats are great and this thing can stow more stuff then any other van out there.

Bluetooth, better city gas mileage. memory seating, swap out the Chrylser gauges and install VW gauges.