Used 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:

The perfect combination
By chuck54633

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This car is the perfect compromise of all the requirements I have for a vehicle. I wanted something more fuel efficient and smaller than the truck I was driving, it had to be comfortable, fun to drive, and have room for my dog. I looked at every 4 door hatch on the market, especially the fit, versa, and the Astra. The Rabbit is the only vehicle in that group that feels like a real car. It feels like a budget BMW with comfortable seats, an excellent driving position, and a wonderful 6spd automatic. OK like most other people I wish it got better mpg, but you do have to consider the solid safe car you are driving. I'm seeing 25+ mpg in mixed spirited driving. You can do better with practice.

6 spd tiptronic transmission. The adjustable center arm rest of course! The comfortable seats, simple efficient controls. The combination of of good handling and low end torque is really fun.

Again for a 3100 lbs car that goes fast, 21/29 is not terrible fuel economy, but it would be nice if they could improve it a little. It would be nice to have a 12v outlet in the center console. I wish they had the new TDI engine in this car.

Love my rabbit
By DBLASVEGAS

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

The first thing you need to understand about this car is. It's not the most fuel efficient hatchback out there. However it is fun fun fun to drive. If you're like me and performance is important to you, for the price you can't beat it. Drove the Civic lx, ex and Nissan Sentra. Boring by comparison. Nice cars but no power. Suspension is a little soft for me (it rides well though) but what do you want for 16,800 dollars? I have alloy wheels and iPod adapter built in the armrest (with rear seat air vents) trip computer 10 speaker stereo. The 4 door jumps in price to around 20,000 dollars. The Honda dealership wanted around 20,000 out the door for an lx Civic coupe. Rabbit was 18.

great power for an "economy" car. 170 hp and 177 torque. i own the 5 speed manual. zippy around town. in town i avg 23-24 mpg. remember i am more a performance oriented driver. keep that in mind with what i've posted for fuel economy. i don't save engine power for a rainy day. i use it.

The fuel economy on the highway on cruise is about 27-28 at 60-63 mph. at 70 your around 26 and above 70 you looking at 24-25 mpg. VW if you read this please add bluetooth as an option to your cars. Had it in my Audi and loved it.

Nothing but Problems
By gobills

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

It started out being a nice car, but since then it has been nothing but headaches. It seems like one thing after another something goes wrong. 1st off the power windows quit working, and now the check engine light keeps coming on and VW doesn't no how to fix it. All in all this is my 1st VW and it will be my last.

I the peppy engine.

Gas Mileage and build quality. Interior rattles a little bit while driving.

Unlimited Smiles per Mile
By davepete

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've owned my Rabbit now for a little over a month. Each and every day I look forward to the commute to work because the Rabbit is so much fun to drive. No problem merging onto the highway, or passing slower traffic. The ride is firm but smooth, and engine response is immediate. I test drove the Scion tC, Mazda-3, Toyota Matrix, Ford Focus, Subaru Impreza, and Chevy Cobalt. None of them could touch the Rabbit in terms of overall feel, and build quality. If you're looking for an inexpensive "fun" car, don't pass up test driving the Rabbit.

Torque! Also the Multi-function display, interior blue and red lighting at night, comfortable seats, theft deterrent system. Oh, and did I mention Torque!

My only complaint is that when you go around corners, water on the roof drips into the passenger compartment when the windows are cracked open.

Vunderbar
By JDub

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have had the car for about 3 months, and can not say enough praise about it. Very versatile, peppy and an overall amazing car. I have a slightly above average commute, and the mileage isn't bad at all, even in the city. Inside, ample space and comfort makes it a great alternative to an SUV or "Crossover" (whatever that is). Fun little "easter eggs" inside and out make me say, "Well, thats smart".

Telescoping steering wheel, Stereo, Tiptronic Tranny and automatic windows.

iPod dock is very tight and radio integration is awkwardly designed. I wish the hatch would come up on its own when the button is pressed on the door.