Used 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:

Why buy a GTI?
By Tim

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought my Rabbit in June of '08 as a replacement for my '06 Nissan Frontier which was swallowing gas by the gallon and losing value faster than the Big 3 and couldn't be happier. My Rabbit is a great car! The 6 speed Triptonic Auto is more than I could have ever asked for. Very peppy car, will go when you want it to, at the expense of poor mileage however. I average 21 or so in the city and up to 28 on a freeway trip. Interior quality is second to none, love that German engineering.

Strong, torque filled engine. Good mileage, but by no means a class leader. Very quick, looks great, build quality is awesome. Interior is the best for the price period.

Make more options available for the 2 door, VW doesn't give it the love it deserves...Make the GTI engine optional.

RABBIT REDUX
By Phil

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We purchased a used 2008 VW Rabbit for my wife to drive. She went from a Jeep to a VW. We also own a 2001.5 VW Passat Wagon which we purchased new. Anyone who purchases a VW should be aware that owning a VW is an experience with potentially expensive upkeep and maintenance. Also, the service at some VW dealers has been horrendous at best. The Rabbit is a well thought out car with many creature comforts not found on other cars. It drives and rides like a German car should, is solidly built and has none of the "tinny" feel of other small cars. The doors feel solid and the 5 cylinder is strong. Just be prepared to pay for maintenance and upkeep.

Solid feel, ride, power and well thought out interior. The VW symbols in the headlights are a nice touch.

The factory tires are not my favorite.

Great Car
By Chris

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

First, I didn't give any "10's" because something has to be literally perfect. That said, for the money, a great car. It's broken in and the last 3 fill ups have been right around the 30 mpg combined mark. I drive very conservatively and about 60/40 hwy/cty. 5 spd manual allows low rpm shifting as well. 5th gear could be taller for the highway, or a 6th gear would help out too. Car comes standard with a good number of things like remote entry. Fun to drive and well made. I'm coming from a 2006 C-Class MB, so I had high expectations. Seems to have met them so far.

Taller 5th gear or add a 6th gear. Remote entry can act a little finicky at times.

Good Rabbit
By Steel66

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is a great car,with a powerful engine.I own the 6 speed tiptronic transmission which matches great with the engine, giving me the feeling that I am driving a more expensive car

transmission, center arm rest, engine,interior and exterior design.

The IPod adapter

A Budget BMW
By umfxc20

2008 Volkswagen Rabbit S 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This car is incredible for the money. It has great power, and it's built like a rock (meaning there are NO rattles). The quality of this car is better than any other car you will find for under $20,000 (except for other VW's). The manual transmission is the smoothest shifting transmission I have ever used. I drove 60 mph on my way to college in Maine and got 35 mpg for highway driving, which was much better than I expected. Just a great car, and more VW's will be purchased in my future.

Gas mileage, great engine, comfortable seats, Daytime Running Lights, Great safety features. Just go and test drive one. You'll see!

VW should put better tires on all of their vehicles. The Continental Touring Tires are not good.