Used 2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 152 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:

Never Again
By Jason Reid

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is my second VW. Now after I sold my first Golf I missed that car for over 5 years so it was apparent that i would buy another VW when I could. The car rides and handles great but my buddy gets better fuel mileage in his 2002 Toyota 4Runner. My Rabbit has stalled 9 times since ownership after a cold start in the middle of a busy highway, tell me that's safe. VW says that it's not throwing any codes and it seems to be working fine. Oh yeah it also has an automatic transmission, go figure. Yesterday I test drove a Nissan Versa which had more interior space but 28 less horsepower which I didn't even notice and better gas mileage. Just stay away from this car.

Tap turn signal for lane change. Tiptronic transmission.

Crappy fuel milage. The famous Rabbit stall. Stay away from this car.

This VW is in a class of its own!
By J. Hall

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

First of all, let me start by saying how much I love this car! People have complained about fuel economy, but you have to realize it is a 5 cylinder engine! It is right in line with other 5s. Just look at the Volvo 5cyl and you find the same gas mpg rating! If you're coming from an SUV you're likely to love the mpg, but if not, you'll be somewhat disappointed, but you get the extra cylinder and it makes a big difference! There is nothing really bad about this car other than you will want to drive it fast which may cause you grief! It does seem to get a lot of attention and impresses everyone who sits in it! It's a step up in class from Honda!

Heated seats, iPod dock, console, heated mirrors, drive quality, build, German engineering. It really is a car that feels like a luxury hatch! Especially when compared to other hatches in this price range!

Nothing major. The radio sometimes boosts the bass at the wrong time, when slowing for example. Just need to make this VW a self washing car and it would be perfect!

Mine's named Thumper!
By Musikfaery

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I got my Rabbit a few months ago and absolutely LOVE it! My family has always driven Volkswagens and I'm no exception. It has great torque, super spacious insides for a two door, and it ultra sleek in design on the outside as well as in. My boyfriend is 6'2" and fits in the passenger seat comfortably, where as on the opposite spectrum, I am 5'4" and the seat and wheel adjust well for smaller build too. Recently took it on a 1,000 mile road trip and loved every minute of it! Great storage in the hatch, and all the options are wonderful, specially the mp3 hookup in the arm rest. The sparkly blue paint is great, and didn't cost a cent extra. Absolutely love my Thumper!!

Sound system radio and mp3. It's surprisingly good quality speakers. And having not only the iPod dock, but the ability to read mp3 cds allows for hours of music with little extra need of storage for cds, etc. The hatch and cover are also GREAT!

They need to make it easier to open the hatch from the outside, the button on the automatic keychain thing you have to hold down too long. It also doesn't open on its own, which is a pain as a student with heavy books needing to be loaded, as well as groceries.

The Rabbit is back
By Ben

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

My experience so far has been great. The Rabbit is fun to drive in all settings I have encountered. The gas mileage is less than stated but comes in at estimates at about 60 mph. Oh and the 10 speaker stereo is great! Just be ready for high service costs. Even an oil change is about $50.00.

Interior lights, stereo. The attention to detail on the outside. I like the coating that is on the very lowest painted panel, seems very tough and is nearly unnoticeable. Heated seats are great on cold mornings too.

The adjustment knobs on the stereo should pop into the dash instead of sticking out all the time. They make dusting more difficult. And a different tone or sequence to the "lights on" warning sound. I found myself able to ignore the lights unintentionally a couple of times.

Grieving owner
By Jorge Provenzali

2007 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I learn to drive in a 1954 bug and owned 1995 Golf that was a great car. The end of my VW loving history came with my purchase 10 months ago of a 2007 Rabbit. The car is a nightmare, the fuel consumption equal that of a midsize SUV and the repertoire of sounds and noises has only improved with time (the comment I got at the dealership was, if I thought I had bought a Bentley). In any case, my major complaint is with the clutch, at the dealership they maintain that there is no possibility of adjustment as some genius devised a self adjusting system that can not be altered in any way. So the fun that used to be driving a manual transmission has turn into dreadful event with this car.