Used 2006 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Rabbit model:

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By mattia76

2006 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

It was love at first drive for the Rabbit and me. Love that it was one of the first ones off the boat. Love that it was made in Germany. Love the way it looks. I've been agonizing for months now at the prospect of selling it since we have a baby on the way. Test drove a lot of used cars that would have cheaper payments, and nothing even comes close. But we've decided to sell the wife's Versa instead. Woo-hoo! I'll drive this thing till I die or until I can trade it in for a diesel version.

Handling, German-build, interior design, roominess, full-size spare tire, iPod adapter.

Bring back the diesel!

People wake up!
By Melon

2006 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Where do I start? Well,I've owned plenty of vehicles in my life, GMs, Dodges, etc. Didn't like any of the American built vehicles. I was a lucky owner of a 1981 VW Rabbit diesel (250,000+ on it) and 1988 Cabriolet from the Karman factory (195,000). Best cars I've ever owned absolutely were V-dubs. Only thing I can say is that the new Rabbit is awesome. Handles great. Fun to drive Fuel econ went up a bit but big deal the car handles/drives like a fairly powerful German sports car. No sissy engine here. Besides I couldn't afford the Audi A6 that I'd wanted and the car is the closest my pocket would allow for me to have a completely enjoyable ride. Love it!!

Love the neon blue night dash lighting very sharp. One touch windows. All the extra features the 4 door comes with are exceptional... sunroof, cool 6 disc stereo, etc.

None in my book. VW seemed to cover it all for under 18 grand. How can you go wrong.

VW fun car
By bill

2006 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Car handles and rides with the european style that I can only afford with the rabbit. Some day hope to purchase a diesel version, but with my current low 10000 miles a year, it is hard to justify the cost.

The styling.

Diesel 4 cyl.

Great car, a step backward for fuel econ
By bluebunny

2006 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Great car, fun car, very solid and yet very nimble on all kinds of roads. The only problem is the fuel economy. We are averaging 17-18 mpg for 100% city driving, which is atrocious for VW historically. Though I really like the feel and the energy the engine gives the car, I think it was a mistake to put the larger engine in this car instead of keeping the old 4-cyl 1.8L standard from the Golf.

The solid feel, the handling, the zip in the city, and parallel parking. You forget how small it is on the outside while you are riding on the inside.

Improvements to fuel economy, perhaps bringing back the engine that did so well for the Golf for 10+ years, and bringing the TDI back.

Good Value for the Price
By Matt

2006 Volkswagen Rabbit Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've owned this car for about five months and since then I've put on 8,000 trouble-free miles. It's a solid car with enough power for daily driving and its interior build quality is far nicer than many cars in its price class. The rear hatch is somewhat smaller than my previous generation Golf, but VW made up for it by providing a roomier backseat. For the price, the standard safety features, power/heated seats, sunroof, and electronic stabilization are hard to beat.

I like the high quality interior plastics and lots of soft-touch plastics. It has a great peppy (though not fast) engine. The 6-speed automatic is smooth and relaxed under most driving conditions.

The 6-disc "premium" sound system is sorely lacking. Both the head unit and speaker placement result in poor sound imaging. I ended up spending an extra $900 to install an aftermarket sound system in the car. The gas mileage is mediocre at best, and I get about 100 miles less per tank than in my old Golf.