Used 2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback Consumer Reviews

Used R32 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...16

Pros
Cons

Never too old to have fun

Doc J, 05/13/2010

At 60+ I'm probably not the usual R32 driver but it's been my daily ride for nearly 6 years. I drive it hard and love it. Reliability has been good other than for major transmission repairs at 35,000 and 65,000 miles along with clutch replacements at the same time. I don't think I drive THAT hard, but maybe I push it harder than the average driver. I've heard that AWD vehicles a hard on their drive trains because their wheels can't slip to release strain. Other than that issue a wheel bearing at 70,000 and an instrument cluster replacement under warranty have been the only other major repairs. I've yet to replace the brakes (maybe that's why I have worn out the clutches!)

I love my 2004 R32

dpod4, 07/16/2012

I bought my R32 brand new in 2004 after test driving much more expensive cars. Nothing compared. I have owned my car 8 years. I have pampered it (garaged in the winter, park it like it is a Ferrari, etc) and it looks brand new (kudos to VW for the Tornado Red paint holding up like it is showroom condition 8 years later). I have not had one problem with it -- most trouble free car I have owned (compared to more expensive cars I have owned from BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, Acura). And, more than any car (Lexus SC400 comes in a close second, and Toyota MR2 a distant third), this BY FAR is the most fun car I have owned. Hard to describe, but 8 years later, I am more elated than day bought.

goin' on 6 years

Nobama, 03/22/2010

This has been a fun car to drive for 103,000 miles so far. With snow on the ground and winter tires, it is an absolute blast. Reliability has been good, needing just a wheel bearing and fuel pump so far. Of all the cars I have owned, this is by far the most all around fun to drive.

The SIngle Best Car You Never Knew About

Kyle, 03/01/2010

My current Deep Blue Pearl 2004 R32, is actually my SECOND. In between, I drove a 2005 Audi S4 with a 344hp V-8 under it's hood. I missed my 250hp (yes it DID HAVE 250 stock) uber-hatch. What can a person POSSIBLY FIND to complain about with this car, except perhaps the limited rear-seat legroom? It's faster (w simple tuning) than the Audi, has an Audi engine, Audi AWD, will stop faster than 99.9% of ALL CARS, will handle until YOU QUIT and comes with nearly all the luxury features the S4 did ( & some extra), plus it's the only VW to be built by Porsche in Slovakia. 5,000 autobahn-intended machines imported at American journalists behest for the U.S. ONLY. FAST, FUN, PRACTICAL... GERMAN.

All Around Epic

Dubsanator, 08/28/2010

I purchased the vehicle at a great price because it had a lot of miles on it, I have been driving it ever since i bought it and wouldn't trade it for the world. I work at a dealership and I've driven my share of cars, this one takes the cake as the most fun car I have ever driven. Period. Everything about it screams amazing, the look, the styling, the epic exhaust sound, the amazing handling, the peppy speed, the smooth six speed gearbox, and last but surely not the end or least, the epic brakes. All around this car is a great buy, coming with numerous interior features that barely come standard on your common exensive BMW. Like I said, wouldn't trade it for anything.

Deep Blue Pearl R32

Ty, 11/25/2015
2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Ok, so I bought this car off of its original adult owner with 99k on it. I had been searching patiently for about 2 years for one at the right price, condition and mileage. This one fit the bill so we negotiated a deal. After owning the car myself now for 3 years, the R has not disappointed. I love the engine growl, the handling, the seats, etc... Fuel mileage: 20mpg city 27hwy have been my averages. I must say that going from an Audi A6 Quattro to an R32 was a drastic change. I do occasionally miss the ride and space the Audi provided, but love the superior braking and overall aggressive driving nature of the R32. The VW R now has 130k on the odo and uses no oil between the 8k mile oil changes. The interior has held up beautifully.

70,000+ miles and still in love!

zmoney, 06/08/2008

This is my daily driver and I couldn't have picked a better car. I was looking at an STI or Evo about 3yrs ago, but then I found the R32 at a great price. You'll love it. I get 22/29 city/highway and you'll have more than enough get up and go to zip in and out of traffic. The seats are great, but they might be a tight fit for a larger person. Everyone loves the sound of the exhaust of course. The look of this car is great, but at the same time it's not a cop magnet which is always a plus. Test drive the 2004 model and you'll be hooked! It won't be mine however as she'll die with me. :) If you do buy one please take it to the track at least once. You'll thank me later.

VW still needs to go to finishing school

Snarly VW, 05/10/2007

When I bought the car used with 25K miles, I checked the service history with my VW dealer and found out that it already had a replaced alternator, water pump, and one other component they couldn't determine. I started having rear drive problems after I bought it. Found out the Haldex unit was toast and was replaced under warranty. Although handling was excellent, the car was overweight and the AWD didn't fully compensate. Interior had the same groans and moans as my previous '03 Anniverary Edition GTI. The Ann. Edition was a better value for the money. Overall, the R32 provides a rewarding experience, but the premium is high, and reliability is a hit and miss proposition.

3 year's ownership - my second favorite

ESSDEEKAY, 12/04/2007

Other than a 2003 Porsche, this R32 has been my favorite of the dozen cars (mostly European) I have owned the last 30 years. It is uber-practical and has as much performance as I need. I run it stock, other than the snow tires I switch to in winter months. Really pleased at the high resale value retained by this limited production car. Only "problem" I have experienced is an ocassional false "loose fuel cap" warning when the gas tank runs low. Low maintenance costs (relative to BMW/Porsche/Audi) has been a very pleasant bonus - less than half the amount of my other cars.

pocket rocket on steroids