Used 2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 156 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback

Base 3.2L V6 AWD 6-speed Manual - (156 reviews )

No problems at 47000 miles
By jcelsa

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Handles well in all weather. It took a while to find a spare that still only fits the rear. I pump the tires to 38 and have had no bubbles so far. Leans more than a BMW xi in turns, otherwise, just as fast. I fixed the rain sensor wiper problem with rain x on the sensor.

Engine, exhaust, versatility, usable rear seat, stealth.

Needs four doors, HID lights, get rid of seat belt chime, make one spare fit all the wheels.

VW still needs to go to finishing school
By Snarly VW

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

When I bought the car used with 25K miles, I checked the service history with my VW dealer and found out that it already had a replaced alternator, water pump, and one other component they couldn't determine. I started having rear drive problems after I bought it. Found out the Haldex unit was toast and was replaced under warranty. Although handling was excellent, the car was overweight and the AWD didn't fully compensate. Interior had the same groans and moans as my previous '03 Anniverary Edition GTI. The Ann. Edition was a better value for the money. Overall, the R32 provides a rewarding experience, but the premium is high, and reliability is a hit and miss proposition.

Torque. Speed is incredibly deceptive. 80 feels like about half that speed. Utility. Symphonic engine sound.

Having to replace the alternator, water pump, and Haldex unit within 26K miles is inexcusable. Excellent interior materials, but the factory needs to screw in the interior pieces better.

Still, the only car I want to drive
By Nate

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I was so happy to have the chance this car near the end of 2004. I enjoy driving it every time an errand or my work calls me. I enjoy its superior build quality over domestics and Japanese cars. The R32s were well thought out and built for more than economy savings. I can't stand the cheapo Japanese and domestic interiors. Tuning companies are quickly suppling everything an R owner could want. With those options, this car has few limitations. I can only imagine being more happy in a M3. But the M3 isn't my style, nor in my pocketbook's range.

Low profile looks, yet tastefully accommodating in the interior and exterior build quality. Nice low rev torque and great 35 mph to freeway speeds capability.

Asking for special low weight build quality would have made this car either: 1. Cheapo-Japanese in build quality, especially the interior. or 2. Terribly expensive with special aluminum or carbon fiber parts

This Is Not You're Sister's Golf
By R32 Man

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This one great car! The seats hold you in very well and are very comfy leather seats. The interior design is nice, and the exterior design is excellent. The rims and body kit make it look beautiful. The exhaust note is the most beautiful sound I have ever heard, it sounds like a Ferrari. Only 5,000 were made so you rarely pass one by on the highway unlike the Evo or STi but yet some how my neighbors still have 2 R32s. If you like going to the track or doing autocross, look no further, this is instant autocross car with power all over the RPM range and a tight suspension that turns very sharply. It is an instant autocrosser

The exhaust note is great an never gets old. The suspension is great, it turns sharply and lets you take 20 mph turns at almost 40 mph with no nervous feeling, just a big grin on youre face. The seats are great. It has a ton of interior space to hold all your junk.

A little more power would be nice. The interior design is nice but could use a little more sprucing up. I seem to out-run the steering, If I turn the wheel to fast I seem to outdo the power steering, it seems to only be a problem with mine though.

Exotic racer or grocery getter? It's both
By Peter Doney

2004 Volkswagen R32 Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Since 1983, my life's desire was to own a Renault R5 turbo2. I could never make the leap to owning such a specialized car - one that requires many compromises and probably many days and many dollars at the shop. Well, it's 2006 and I now own and drive my dream car everyday. But as in a previous review, this car is all about balance. The functionality of the hatchback and fold down seats makes this my activity vehicle for hauling all my mountain bike and ski gear. My insurance agent thinks I'm driving an economy car and that police officer just thinks I'm driving my son's fixed up GTI (knock on wood), and yet in my mind, I'm driving my all time favorite car - no matter what price.

The sound that happens when I step on that little metal thing below my right foot. It puts a smile on EVERYONE :)

A spare tire would be nice. I've learned to ignore all the rattles and both doors being out of alignment, but what's with the trunk not unlocking with the rest of the doors? How un-German of them.