2014 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Review: Fahrvergnugen! Driving enjoyme

2014 Volkswagen Passat - Consumer Review

SE Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Automatic)

Fahrvergnugen! Driving enjoyment! 3 year update
By avidr on

2014 Volkswagen Passat SE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I sampled quite a few --Accord, Camry, Mazda6, Fusion, Sonata, etc. The Passat felt the most tuned in. I love the torque curve that kicks in a very low rpms. Up-shifts come quickly, which makes the Passat seem like it has long legs. I'm getting nearly 30 mpg in town. It really favors soft-pedalling the gas, but has plenty of juice when needed. Handling is excellent. Seats are comfortable. No squeaks or rattles. Soaks up bumps smoothly. Overall build quality seems to be right on. No USB port?!, so I bought a dual outlet converter. The Bluetooth works very well. Plenty of room. Stickered for $27,500, I paid $24,200, plus 0.9% financing.

3 years later...I still like it. It's my daily commuter, three miles each way. I taken a couple of long trips of 2000 miles and it did fine...not luxurious, but adequately comfortable. Depending of the weather, I've gotten up to 39 mpg on the highway. I still like the engine and its excellent torque at low rpm. Acceleration is good. No squeaks or rattles. Takes bumps smoothly. The huge rear seat has been a plus. The transmission, as noted elsewhere, seems unsophisticated at low speeds. The VW-link systems was replaced under warranty. Other than that, only routine maintenance. Bear in mind, this is not an upscale car. It cost $24k brand new. For that money, it has been a good buy and a nice handling car.

• Purchase cost
  • Fuel economy
  • Maintenance cost

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By ajm96
on 09/05/14 22:09 PM (PDT)

I have the exact model (I think) and it does have a USB port inside the console (box) that's in the middle in between the two front seats. Also an AUX too.