Used 2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Great Choice
By jwalt300

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I've had this car for just over one year, but have already put 41k miles on it.
Had a very small problem early (round 3k miles), where the passenger seatbelt light came on.
Dealer fixed it and I've had no problems since.
I'm averaging 41mpg (up and down hills/mountains) commuting to work, and I've gotten as high as 55mpg on "normal" trips.
MPG under city conditions not as good (avg maybe 32-36), but still not bad.
The more you stay on the highway, the better your mpg.
Good leg and shoulder room for tall people (I'm 6'3).
Seats could be a little more comfortable, but maybe it's because I sit there for longer periods.

Gas mileage. Simple, but nice style

One "wired" thing - a cracking sound comes from the window area. I thought it was the window - nope. The plastic piece beneath the window/dash makes the sound (particularly when it gets hot).

We Bought Two and Both Cars blew the Turbo
By bubbastarr

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

The gas milage is great, the luxury is good. The tranmission can be unresponsive, expecially in the cold. We bought two for our company and both have blown the turbo. One at 30k and the other at 18k.

The automatic downshifting while braking to slow the car on steep declines.

Fix the Turbo!!!

Second Review
By brian_h

I posted in November 2012 short after I bought my car. It has performed well w/ mileage averaging around 38-40 mpg with currently 50k on the car and I drive 110 miles/day battling a 2000 foot elevation change into the Wyoming wind in one of those directions.
Still really like and enjoy this car.
There remain a few electronic issues that are dismaying but I will not let them dampen my enjoyment of this car. The only part I have had to have replaced is the heat/AC blower due to freezing up in some subzero weather.

Mileage and comfort. Good solid car.

Backup camera is still an unreliable safety issue / liability rather than a safety feature.

Would not purchase again
By j__c

I purchased this 2013 TDI SEL Premium in October 2013.
It already had one owner and 32k miles.
I now have 45k miles on the car.

Fuel mileage is about 40 MPG with 60% hwy 40% city.

- Bluetooth

Needs: - Full leather seats - Navigation is a nightmare. Needs faster chip and option for QWERTY keyboard along with options on what information to put in first. Need to eliminate the "extra" choices for locations. For example I am around Tampa. Sometimes it shows the county as incorporated and sometimes unincorporated. That is a ridiculus choice. - Backup camera comes on after I have already put it in drive. - Transmission should not require $300 service @ 40k miles. - The brake assist for "hill" starts is not needed in most areas...Florida...but I cannot turn it off. - The phone system keeps telling me is cannot install my phone book...every time.

Watch out for Passat TDI
By joe473

2013 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Volkswagon knows they have an issue with the Passat and they should do a recall.
The issue is with the fuel pump and the high compression.
They blame you the consumer and blame you for putting gasoline in a diesel engine. Pump goes then the injectors, watch out stay away.

redesign the fuel pump