Used 2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

A great ride!
By John Heffernan

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Don't expect a lot of pick up but beyond that, an amazing car!

80,000 Care Free Miles
By Brian Reed

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan SE PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I am the original owner of this 2012 Passat SE 2.5 6A and it is still the best car I have ever owned. Everything it does is effortless. I am a big guy with long legs and sit far away from the steering wheel and yet my friends, also tall, can fit comfortably behind me in the backseat. Long trips or commuting, both are easily handled with this car.

Now, to be fair, I have had one repair after the warranty expired. It was a software update for $50. That's it. That is the total amount I have spent on repairs. This car is rock-solid reliable.

The 2.5L 5 cylinder is an underrated engine in my opinion. It makes good torque down low and thru the midrange making for good acceleration off the line as well as passing power, when needed. Also, the car climbs grades, long, tall grades like they were flat. That is when I use the manual mode of the transmission, shifting it from 6th gear into 5th and letting the cruise control pull the car over the grade. It started its life in Utah and traversed those passes with ease in snowy or dry conditions without drama.

MPG - That always seems to be the knock on this engine but I haven't seen that. The worst MPG I have ever seen from this car is 24. Most of the time, I get 30 combined with 34 - 36 mpg on road trips. The car only needs 87 octane and just hums along. At 75 mph, the tach barely turns at 2,200 rpm.

Seriously, this car is the total package - comfortable, power, efficient.

*Update - March 2017
This car has been incredible. Completely reliable and I think is getting better with age. Interior shows no signs of wear at all. In fact, when we drive for double dates, our passengers always compliment on how nice the car is inside - roomy and clean.

I use it as a part time commuter car now. My commute is in heavy Los Angeles traffic driving the 91 freeway from Riverside County to Orange County everyday. My total commute round trip is about 102 miles. With stop and go traffic and some highway speeds, the car gets 29 mpg.

The SiriusXM shortens trips. Radio everywhere. When I want to listen to iTunes, bluetooth is a great option with excellent sound quality both in music as well as for phone calls.

Two words -
GET ONE

You will not be disappointed.

Car ok ,I satisfaction .
By Wesley Ciaston

Recommended.

Too bad the refresh does not look as sharp!
By Bill Jackameit

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan S 4dr Sedan w/Appearance (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is an excellent car classy looking has gone 80,000 miles in four years with no issues or repairs whatsoever. Gets just over 30 mpg on trips and runs great on regular gas. I have owned two VW's with turbo engines that were not nearly as reliable. Too bad VW dropped the 5 cylinder and also the great Tungsten Silver color. It is time for a new car and while I have looked at the 2016 refreshed Passat it won't be the replacement the refresh while not bad looking is not as sharp and clean as the original and the 4 cylinder turbo knocks it out of consideration I just don't trust it based on experience with these small VW turbo engines. A nice low mileage 2012 to 2014 Passat 5 cylinder would be a great car for someone on a limited budget. VW should have kept the 5 cylinder its great reliability is worth the lower but still good mpg compared to the new turbo. Also finding out that the trade-in value on the Passat is lower than expected.

Better than basic transport for tall drivers
By Paul Erbe

2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan S 4dr Sedan w/Appearance (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I recently purchased a 2012 Passat S(manual) that must have been coming off lease. Even though this is the base model it has everything you would ever need. Expert reviews ding it for lacking rear-view camera and navigation. Today's smartphones handle navigation just fine and how about looking over your shoulder to back up. I drive almost 90% off the highway and my combined mpg has been 25.66 for my first 2500 miles, seems fine for a car of this size. I do occasionally make a 60-70 mile highway trip and the on board computer has reported those trips getting 40 mpg. I am big and tall (6'5" and 300 lbs) and the front seat leg, head and shoulder room are all more than sufficient. AS a matter of fact I don't need to have the seat in the furthest bask position. I have two son who are also tall(6'5" & 6'1") and they can easily sit behind me in the back seat.