Used 2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

2yrs and counting
By brndnmartin87@gmail.com

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

After 2yrs of driving my 2012 passat tdi i have no complaints, i love the fuel milage 31/50
Its not a luxury car, it does have some road noise which got quit a bit better when i replaced the factory hankook tires with michelin primacy tires.
Over all I'm quit pleased. My wife drives it mostly and loves it!

Worst car and customer service in the world
By totsntators

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

EPIC FAIL:
44K miles in and my engine completely dies on a busy interstate while i'm 5 months pregnant. apparently a bolt holding the injector pumps in place broke, dislodged the pumps and killed the engine. breakage was traced back to fuel system replacement done 3 months ago.
i filed a formal complaint with dealership and GM of dealership reacted by aggressively demanding his rental car back and threatening to call the cops on me if i don't return it immediately (we were loaned the car until our repairs were done).
customer care heard about all the incidents but took no action or accountability for what happened.
worst car ever owned and will never buy VW ever again. buyers beware!

loved the car until something went wrong. then it was a chain of reaction that got worse and worse. and this was just 2 and 1/2 years into ownership, didn't even reach 45K miles when major malfunctions occurred. you're really on your own since VW will not provide any customer care support. VW dealerships are also independent franchises so there's no guarantee of quality workmanship, even though they are "authorized dealers" and "authorized service centers"

VW needs to stand behind their work and their customers. when something goes wrong in a car that you advertise as car of the year or family car of the year, take some responsibility for it. seems like once you give them your money, that's all they really care about, since they let dealerships do whatever and behave however they want, not ensuring any type of standard of quality in servicing or customer care. it's absolutely unacceptable. i've been completely disgusted and appalled by my experiences with VW and hope this review helps others steer clear away from this car and this company.

Engine tried to fall out.
By vwdumpsterfire

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I love the gas mileage my Passat gets, in fact I have averaged 48.2 MPG over 71,000 miles.
Everything I have ever gained in gas savings has been completely erased by repair bills.
The engine mount bolts fell out and the engine fell forward into the radiator hoses.
Apparently the nuts and bolts for the DPF and EGR filter were missing as well, lucky me!
I contacted VW and asked them how long they expected their engines to remain in the vehicle along with other miscellaneous nuts and bolts.
In short the answer was, "just long enough to get you through the warranty!"

In short I was told that none of this could possibly be VW's fault (since I was out of warranty) and good luck!

I do appreciate the fact that my car was able to retain the lug nuts for 71,000 miles. I like the fact that the base model TDI basically comes with every feature you need. There were no options to add since everything was already included. The split rear folding seat was also a big plus for carrying longer items like skis and still having the ability to take a 3rd person.

I don't know, maybe take care of your customers when the vehicle you make has an obvious manufacturers defect. I like that the service manager also said "this is freakish, I've never seen this happen in a vehicle." VW apparently hadn't either but was more than happy to charge me more than $2,000 (including the towing) to put it all back together for me. Thanks VW! :) My advice, buy anything but a VW. This car is gone and I'm never buying a VW again.

Exploding sunroof?
By aaronnandi

Up until now I have loved my Passat.
Unfortunately the events of the last week have changed my view.
I was driving down the freeway with three children in the back seat and the sunroof completely exploded and rained down small sharp glass pieces all over my head and face.
The Dealership will not stand by the warranty and is trying to charge me for this repair!
I called VW directly and they are taking the same stance.
This is absolutely a manufacturing defect as I have found reports all over the internet of other cars having the same issue.

Great car, but next time I will not give my business to a company that doesn't take care of it's customers and honor their warranties.

Keyless entry, remote start, gas mileage is INSANE! In a good way.

Um, sunroof glass could be improved, in such a way that it doesn't explode! Traction isn't great. Not sure if it's the tires or it's drivetrain but it doesn't feel like I'm gripping the road very well.

after almost 4 years of ownership ~ 70K miles
By botanybob

2012 Volkswagen Passat Diesel TDI SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The recall for all diesels did not change anything with this car. It already had the add blue for NOx emissions. We drive the manual (stick shift) model and do a mix of country and city driving. On a recent long road trip we were still getting 52 mpg. We had one tank go for 780 miles before the low fuel light came on. In addition, the car is very comfortable, handles beautifully, has plenty of power, and holds four people plus a large trunkful of supplies easily and with room to spare.