Used 2009 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Extremely Unreliable
By lee

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The car is stylish, but unfortunately seems to break down frequently. I have under 30,000 miles and have had the throttle body replaced, throttle body wiring, and steering column replaced. It has left me stranded 5 times. Probably the least reliable car I have ever owned. I'm totally bummed I have a 4 year 60,000 mile lease, it's a horrible car

Eurostyle wagon experience
By Landon

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I shake my head at all our neighbours driving these hideous SUVs and crossovers that handle like buses and drink fuel like crazy. There are options! This car has way more room than our neighbour's Murano and is a blast to drive! We love manual trannys and this was the only wagon we could get one in. We got a highline with real leather, moonroof, dual climate, satellite radio. Had an Acura TSX before and this is quicker but gets the same mileage. It is also quieter and smoother but the leather and aesthetics were nicer in the Acura.

Love the engine and trans. Unbelievable engineering to get this kind of low end torque from a turbo 4.

Not crazy about the black plastic sill around the exterior, hard to keep clean and would look much nicer if it were body coloured. Some of the exterior plastic chrome is already rusting despite very frequent washes.

Brakes Already!!
By Melissa

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Completed all maintenance as required. Dec. 2009 had 20k maintenance completed. No issues. Now 3 1/2 months later, 4k miles, rear brakes are grinding! Come to find out there are no sensors/indicators. Questionable if brakes were even checked during maintenance. Tech wasn't required to jot down any numbers/levels when maintenance was done!! 2 days ago was the first time any problems were noticed - grinding already...Friday serviced = $350.00 just to replace pads. I've never had to worry about brakes on any of my previous cars until well over 35k. My 2000 Passat's rear brakes were done around 50k. Tech should have noticed something in Dec, therefore I could have anticipated the charges!

Care Free Maintenance - is only worth it if all work is done and documented.

Have all your levels/%/numbers documented when you get the Care Free Maintenance done. Now I know to request those figures during maintenance (and their threshold) so I can be better prepared for any future work.

Another great VW
By Robert Clark

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We have owned several VWs and this is by far the most comfortable on the road. Recently drove 1200 straight through with wonderful comfort. A great ride and fun to drive.

Nav system and overall design.

Road warrior
By farfugnugen

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This car averages 22 city 27 Hwy (@75- 80). If the road is good, the car is great, smooth ride, fairly quiet, excellent feedback and handling. 70 mph no different the 90 mph. If you live where the roads are bad, this car is not for you 70 mph will not be tolerable, lots of road noise, and you will feel each bump. Driver seat is great, IPOD could be better(can't see the songs, only track numbers), radio is better then o,k but not great. JPL. BOSE, infinty much better. Very good with one driver on goods roads or in heavy traffic. I love the electronic break, so you can relieve foot pressure with stop and go traffic. 30,000 mile a year road warrior,the seat is the second best I've had. 8k mile

Driver seat and smooth road ride and feel.

Radio could be better, arm rest should be able to move forward or back for comport. Different tires on 17" wheels.....maybe