Used 2009 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Great Car, Great Value, More room than monster SUVs
By ray4now

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've owned mine since June /09. I was skeptical at first - somewhat odd looks, VW reputation for marginal reliability, not all the luxury I really wanted. However on test drive changed that. The 2.0L turbo engine is fantastic - quick, responsive, pulls very hard when you mash the throttle. The 6 speed transmission is mated perfectly to it and is smooth and accurate in shifts. So far, so good. I've got 36K+ miles of mostly highway driving and no breakdowns/strands/failed starts. No maintenance costs either with first 2 years covered. Some trim pieces have broken due to little kiddie fingers.

I would highly recommend this car for anyone looking for an alternative to ridiculously oversized SUV

Without a doubt, the power tailgate is the best feature here. Always a lifesaver when I have my hands full returning from the store. SAT stereo is good, seats excellent for long drives, interior fit and finish is good.

iPOD integration needs improvement - very limited functionality and no charging while plugged in - what??

Great Car
By sconner69

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is the first "new" car we have ever bought, We purchased it in April 2010 however it was a 2009 Demo so not really brand new. Anyway it had just at 5K miles on it when we purchased and since then we have driven about 23K miles. We have had not had any mechanical issues with the car. I like others would have really liked memory seats. As I am 6'5" and y wife is 5'6" so we are always changing the seat. The 2.0L Turbo has amazing power and we average about 24mpg I have gotten 35mpg on the highway driving at 55 and really trying to get the best milage. Overall the car has been quite nice.

Love the power that little 4 cylinder engine puts out. Love the auto hold feature. The stereo is very nice, the trunk is nice and roomy, and we really like the looks of this Passat. Heated seats are great, and the fit and finish is really nice, no rattles, no annoyances. This is our 2nd Passat, the first was a TDI and we really miss the TDI fuel milage, but since both of our Passats have been great vehicles we will trade up to the 2012 TDI to get the fuel milage back.

I can think of just a few things to improve upon, buy better tires to sell on your cars VW at 27K miles ours are shot. I said it earlier, memory seats. Some sort of "sync" system would also be nice. Those three things would have gotten all 5's from me. Instead VW you got three 4's in my review.

Great German Car
By mbehn

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Have had this '09 since 8/09.
It runs flawlessly and is a very enjoyable family sedan.
Storage is HUGE, performance is tight and torque is excellent.
High end smooth comfortable ride with great control.
Most of the benefits of Audi w/o price tag.
Great bargains to be had (this one was $5K off sticker).
No, not as cheap as a Camry or Honda, but much more style, class and fun to drive.
This car is a sleeper and soon to be changed and produced in Mexico - it's a buy.

Fabulous engine, excellent interior and exterior, very thought out, almost predicting drivers needs and wants. Great features even in base versions. Unique. German engineering.

Stock sound system is OK - multi CD player, 10 speakers. BUT, not as nice as some systems (Bose for example). Lacks far rear woofer and speakers in wagon, so kind of boxy sound.

Great thus far
By fmrporscheguy

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Have had this car for a full 3 months, and it's met or exceeded my expectations. So far no unscheduled trips to the dealership, which is good. Being that this is a "performance" German car, you have to know it will need regular maintenance. The engine is adequate, though not at all inspiring. Does a decent job of moving along when pushed. Int design is very nice. Leatherette works great w/o worry of ruining it with wet beach shorts, sun damage, or regular wear and tear (look at pics of older models and seats still look new). Center tunnel is a tad narrow and would be nice if it were carpeted. I think ext looks nicer than Passat sedan. Audi-esque front grill is great!

CD changer, iPod connection, Sirius. Like the rear hatch up/down buttons. Nice storage bins. Comfy, low maintenance leatherette seats. Sleek style. Black metallic paint. Nice wheels!

Don't like the Tokyo nightclub "blue" radio. Use a cable to link iPod, not awkward direct connection in glove box. Carpet the footwell so more comfy if can't narrow center tunnel. Xenon lights as safety option/std. Upgrade int plastic arm rests/handles. Offer AWD option. Make 5-star rated. Diesel!!

For New Models
By DFt Lauderdale

2009 Volkswagen Passat Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

For a car listed for 29k a middle of the road final product. I have rattles in the dash area from one end to the other. The dealer can't fix. The light interior color on areas where dirty shoes will come in contact are impossible to clean. Like lower doors and where speakers are placed which also will be damaged when someone gets in and presses there shoe to hold the door open or just scrape when getting in or out. I do not drive much so not hampered by bad gas mileage. But for a four it's a nice car.

Good interior finish. Can move when you press the gas.

Cleanable areas where foot and hand contact occur.