Used 2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews - 93 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Now That's A Car!
By RheyLEW

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan VR6 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Was initially interested in a Mazda6 for a long time. Made the mistake of sitting in a Passat CC first, went to Mazda and wasn't impressed, the German design and meticulous attention to detail is phenomenal. (It's the little things) cleverly designed umbrella holder in door, pull-up window shades, radar for adaptive cc and parking assistance, bi xenon headlights, LED tails, cargo and shopping bag hooks in trunk, heated side mirrors that point to curb when reversing, auto door lock, moon roof, rain sensing wipers that you don't even have to touch, wonderful lighting and dash, power windows all around, 4 cup holders, secret compartments. Powerful v6 engine with paddle shifters! Whooo- weee!

Engine/transmission power/performance, interior, exterior, rarity, can pass as a professional or sports car, easily customizable, cockpit feel, Headlights, DynaAudio sound system, trunk space, I can keep going here..

hmm, sequential shifter instead of tiptronic, not great on gas, but I'm coming from a 4 cylinder Camry, I'm almost clueless here..

Excessively Burning Oil
By Andrew

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased a used VW Passat with 19k miles. At one point, I checked the oil dip stick and discovered the engine consummed 2 quarts of full synthetic oil in approximately 4900 miles. I approached the dealer and I was told this is normal for this engine. In fact, the service person stated, I should consider myself lucky, others are burning more! With no help from the dealer, I called the 800 VW number (March of 2010). As a solution,VW staff stated I could go to the dealer, have them change the oil, and return within the 6k oil change interval and at that time,(and at my cost) the dealer would weigh the oil and determine if I was within VW's standard.

The car has good features, especially the interior room, However, the burning of oil at this rate (1 quart per 1200 miles) will reduce the life of the exhaust system, the catalyic converter and the turbo. Speak to a person who rebuilds engines for a living, I did!

VW, needs to fix the problem. Look at the exhaust pipe. If its very black and sooty, you are burning oil. Another way to tell, (assuming your parking spots does not show and oil leak) run the engine witn the car in park and hit the gas...you will see a puff of black smoke out of the exhaust.

Bimmer Killer
By VR6Guy

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan VR6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Love my VR6 Passat 4Motion! I bought this car down in Florida the day before I drove back to Jersey. I got to test out VW service within the first 24 hours, apparently some sort of recall wasn't done on it and my car went into 'safe' mode somewhere in NC. Roadside came and got me in about 20 min, "Trip Interruption" paid for a kush hotel, my meals and a loaner. 2 days later I was back on the road. My Passat turns heads with it's muscular looks, and I love when I can kick a 5-series @$$ off of a red light, or the kids in their 6 cyl 'Stangs.

VR6, 4Motion, 18" Sport rims, Pirelli P6 tires really hung the road and are amazing in the snow, VW customer service is AMAZING... beats out Audi by a long shot, and even Mercedes.

Have bluetooth standard on a car of this caliber

Truly Under-Appreciated
By BWestinDC

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Lux 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I leased my 08 Passat as an upgrade from a 5-cyl Jetta, opting for the 4- cyl Lux after test-driving the 8-cyl Phaeton for good measure. The acceleration on the 4-cyl is amazing - better than the 8-banger. And fuel economy is often up to 30+mph on my DC commute (recently rated worse than LA). VW doesn't get enough credit or positive publicity for the genius engineering they've done to produce such a car. Ride quality is tremendous. Interior finishes outpace Lexus. Cargo capacity is amazing. All-in-all, I confidently recommend this car to anyone currently shopping. Its performance will knock your socks off.

Acceleration and turns are fun with this car. Interior is quite plush without being fussy.

Fun to drive
By Matt

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

After two years of ownership, everything has been good. We were hesitant to purchase a VW due to past consumer issues. The zero down sign and drive is actually a pretty good deal. So we leased it and at this point I think we may buy it at the end of the lease. We were able to negotiate the price of the lease down, so make sure to explore that road. We have been very happy with it so far and would consider another one.

The 2.0 Turbo has good acceleration and not a lot of delay when you step on it. Good family car yet fun to drive when I don't have the wife and kid with. I always use the retractable window visors in the back for my son, they are great. Big cup holder for my big water bottle in the door.

The Tire Pressure Monitoring system is a little too sensitive. Not a big complaint though.