Used 2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews - 93 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Excellent Sedan, Almost a Luxury
By phani9

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I Just traded in my 09'Jetta 2.5 SE for a 08'Passat komfort. It's a wonderful sedan with so much interior luxury & killer looks outside.

2.0T engine with 200hp, 6-cd mp3, leather seating with heated front seats & rear a/c vent, 17" alloys.

Love this car!
By lori

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had my Passat for 2 1/2 years now and I just love it. The car is fun to drive, has a ton of get up and go, is great on gas and I can't say how many compliments I get on the looks. I have the upgraded tires/rims and the car is extremely sporty with a grown up look. I just turned 20,000 miles without a problem. The paddle shifter is fun for sport driving and the turbo lets this baby move! I highly recommend this car!

2008 Passat Komfort, 2.0, auto
By gphin305

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is my 5th VW owned (3 Jettas, 2 Passats)since 2003. Owned over 30 cars overall. Had numerous issues with the 2003 Passat but it was very solid and fun to drive and put 105K on it before selling for $6500 last year. Looked at several options in May08 when decided to lease current Passat. Nothing else came close to overall value and pricing. I now have 27,500 miles to date and car has been perfect....no problems whatsoever. Very solid highway cruiser, roomy, quiet, good mileage (24 avg...28-29 highway), seats are very comfortable....feels like a solid German made car. Doesn't use any oil and runs great on regular gas. Will probably buy when lease is up next year....may look at CC.

I'm 6'2" and have more than enough legroom. Driving position and vision is excellent, comfortable seats (the synthetic leather still looks new). Overall solid feeling while driving 70mph+, interior look of high-quality, handling, good legroom with back seats, good size trunk. A real drivers car.

Miss the fog lights, should have been an option. Offer power passenger seat....using wheel on side to adjust is very cumbersome. Don't use Goodyear Eagles....become very noisy after 20K miles.

Shifting unpredictable
By France

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Love to drive our Passat when it's not in the shop. We have been having a problem with the transmission or shifting pretty much from the beginning. I was hoping to find other people with the same problem as we are experiencing. We took our time in choosing this car, purchased a VW for the supposedly well made vehicle it delivers, great disappointment. It's still in the shop now; hoping this time it will be fixed.

Good driver's car, hugs the road, fast and comfortable.

Former Toyota owner
By Joey nash

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I am reluctant to sing praises just yet. As a former Toyota owner, I expect a lot out of my vehicles in terms of reliability. I did not expect to buy a VW, but in keeping a promise to my daughter, I let her pick. We bought the car and afterward, I searched the internet for opinions (backwards, I know). After the initial panic, I have realized that most of the reviews on any car are negative, since people with no gripe tend not to bother at all. That said, if this car gives me no problems mechanically, it will be my all time favorite. I did not know anybody made a car that got 30 mpg+ and would go fast. Fun to drive and the design seems to be well thought out. Feels like a fighter plane.

Cools the turbo after shutdown. The smell of the interior. Economy and horsepower. Interior in general.

Car is deliberately designed so that the owner cannot perform minor repairs. If you want to change your own air filter or brake pads, good luck. Shame on VW for this. Had I known, I would not have bought the car. VW parts and labor are outrageous. Manual doesn't even tell how to check trans fluid!