Used 2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Great Car....
By kaperej

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Overall this is a really good German Engineering...although this Passat doesn't get the best MPG or is the cheapest it is the best for your money. The overall quality is very good and will last along time. The two years we have had our Passat we have only had one big issue. The engine cam had shattered and at high RPM..This costed
$2700 and Volkswagen knew it was a problem but refused to pay for it. Other than that it has been a great car.

Great build quality...The 2.0L Turbo engine.

Make the engine more powerful

Best european affordable car!
By corneliu

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I own the 08 passat 20T and the 08 passat vr6, and both are a blast. I had no issues with none of them in 4 years. I only did the regular service and thats it! With the 2.0T i got a personal record of 32 mpg/hwy, with the vr6 29mpg wich is not bad at all. I like the sprint from the turbo and the pull of vr6 from 80mph and up! great cars

break hold feature is helping alot when in stop and go traffic, also the rear view mirror that dimms at night and the self leveling headlights from the vr6

EXCELLENT CAR!
By fausto123

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Lux 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 01/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I've had my Passat for about a couple months now and I absolutely couldn't be happier, the ride is super smooth even on rougher surfaces, its packed with features and full of space. The transmission shifts very smoothly and road noise is very minimal considering mine has the larger tires and wheels. The cabin feels very upscale, I enjoy that it has an auto hold brake feature, heated seats, and the 6 disc CD changer works flawlessly. The only negative is the chrome trim used around the windows, they oxidized rather quickly and in my opinion VW needs to improve the quality of that material. Besides that the car drives and handles like a dream !

EVERYTHING

Better quality window trim

Burning Oil
By discouraged3

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Komfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my Passat Komfort new 2008 and was very excited because I had just traded a 2007 Passat Wolfburg limited edition with no problems.
After driving this 2008 passat for 50,000 the vehicle engine shut down engine light came on and I stop to checked the oil and the oil stick was dry.
The vehicle was towed to the dealership because I was told not to drive it and they said the vehicle had oil but not reading on the stick and the car only get around 600 miles to a quart.
now i have to check the oil often before
the oil changes.
The car now in 2011 is buring oil as fast as I add oil.
It make me sick to know I paid 30,000 for a vehicle and now have to check the oil during every fill up.

Seats, electronic features, the back and side manual sun visor screen.

Oil consumption, automatic sun visor screen. Noisey tire roaring on the higway

Burns Oil
By rrosborough

2008 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Turbo 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my Passat brand new off the show room floor. I was thrilled to have this car. It looked good, ran good, and for the first 50,000 miles I didn't have any problems.
Then I began to realize that it burns oil ridiculously.
I took it in to have the dealership run an oil consumption test, and of course they said it was fine.
Told me it burns 1qt of oil for every 1,200 miles. So I had the option of not driving my car as much, getting oil changes sooner, or just plain ol adding oil.
Either way it really sucks. Took the joy of my car away from me. I'm pleased with it, but I don't like having to keep up with the oil consumption, adding oil, or changing oil more frequently.