Used 2007 Volkswagen Passat Sedan Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 Volkswagen Passat Sedan

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

I can't believe it
By jwilliamsoh

2007 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.0T Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Long story short; I used to own a company and drove MB as a rule. Now things are very different so I still wanted German and went with a VW. The top part of the engine has been rebuilt twice as the timing chain broke twice. Now I was a LITTLE late on a couple oil changes; like 2k miles, not THAT big of a deal (for other cars). Now with 78k miles the car is starting to tick again and it is under 3 years old. Now I have driven a lot of miles but drive (slow) due to some points I drive the speed limit. Take off NORMAL, stop normal, no driving fast or racing. Also because funds are tight I need to get the most out of the gas. I average (for the past 8k miles) 23.7 mpg.

Car has a nice design (looks).

Build a quality car like VW has always been known for. I picked this car because I feel on hard times and wanted the highest quality I could get for the little I could spend (and the car is not cheap). In return I got something that keeps breaking, is now out of warranty and I can't pay to fix

Great Passat
By REB

Best car ever owned and I have owned many!!

Perfect ride has 27k and still runs like new. As long as you take car of your car it will take care of you!

Driver right leg room a little close.

Third Passat
By Gene

This is our third Passat (first a 1993) and it is the best. The car feels like a much bigger and more expense automobile. No problems and only expense is the scheduled maintenance. I alternate between Plus and High Test gasoline and runs great. I was most impressed by the highway MPG. I always get between 31 and 32 MPG with one trip turning in 35. I would recommend changing the oil more often than VW recommends. 10,000 miles seems a little long.

ride, looks and gas mileage

Feels good but not reliable
By lfouts

2007 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have 20,000 miles on my 07 Passat 2.0T. Last week it quit operating while on the freeway. Felt like it was out of gas and unresponsive to gas pedal. Had plenty of gas. Coasted to shoulder and it resumed operating. Then there was a loud noise that was not from the engine. Towed it to the dealer. They checked it out and found nothing wrong. It drove perfectly again. The technician gently told me that perhaps I hit the brake and the gas at the same time and the computer, for safety, favored the brake and went into a low power mode. Sounded possible the way tech explained it. I don't trust the car now. Anyone else had this problem?

Drives great, solid feel, good gas mileage.

Front seat cushion too narrow. A/C emits a terrible smell that dealer says is common and cannot be fixed.

Audi performance; VW price
By Randy

2007 Volkswagen Passat Sedan 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I test drove Audis and BMWs before deciding on the Passat. I love the six speed transmission, and using the Sport setting makes the car go like a rocket. Insurance is very reasonable on this model too. Absolutely no problems in two years of ownership, which is something even my Honda couldn't deliver (I don't know why Consumer Reports keeps knocking VW quality, when I've owned 3 VWs and had few problems). The power and performance of this car is great, and it's comfortable on long trips. If I had it to do over, I would have paid for the leather package because I plan to keep this car for a long time.

Love the power, when passing and when cruising along. I live in the South and the climate control system keeps the car nice and cool.

Again, I would probably opt for the leather if I were doing this again. Or, if the base version came with cloth instead of leatherette, that would be nice, but this is a minor quibble.