Used 2007 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 203 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2007 Volkswagen Passat

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

I have a smile on my face every time I drive this turbo beauty and the beast
By Ondrej Stonawski

2007 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I purchased my black 2007 Passat with the 2.0 T engine with the manual 6 speed transmission and the sport package with black leather seats in 2010 as a certified vehicle with about 31K miles. Right now I have just over 120K on it and it runs just like new.
The car corners very well, acceleration is great, breaking is great, I love the manual 6-speed, when you are in a mood and there is a good curvy, hilly road Oh man...
As you will find out later on, the car is more expensive to run due to premium gas and to maintain than an Accord or Camry, but what I can say is it delivers 5 tons of joy to me everyday I drive it.I installed a hitch to it as well and it pulls 2,000 lbs like a breeze.

My car is loaded with everything you could have had in 2007. Every-time I sit in the sporty leather seats I get a slight smile on my face. When I bought the car it was like a Christmas for the first month or so, every day I found out little awesome features I did not notice before. A great one is that the head lights turn the direction your steering wheel does up to 30 mph. The acceleration is fantastic, and the sound going with it reving up to 6,500 rpm is magical. The ESP has saved me several times on slippery roads with black ice or freezing rain... Winter tires make a lot of difference in areas with slushy conditions, but that is true for all cars. I love how the car looks inside-out.

I have a strong tie to this car, it is not the reliability champion, rather an underdog with minor hick-ups like a sticking solenoid valve to take the fuel fumes from the tank to the air intake (a $50 fix - twice so far) or the sun-roof mysteriously opens up a bit at random points, or the previously mentioned push-button break, now that made me change the rear break discs and that was several hundred dollar fix, the parking break does stick now and then, but given a little patience it releases and off you go. That's pretty much it for repairs. The dealer service prices are inflated, I service my car at a local shop without any issues.

Worst car I have ever had! Lemon for sure
By ajh2009

2007 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I read reviews on hundreds of cars before I purchased my used Passat Wagon. I read some negative ones but for each bad one there was a good one or two so I made the decision to become a VW owner. What a horrible Idea. My Wagon has been in the shop several times - currently for $4000 worth or repairs (not covered under warranty) Thank God I purchased the extended warranty or I would really be upside down in this car. Everything from the AC / injectors / Fuel Pump, Water Pump /
Sun Roof/ You name it I have had to repair or replace it. I will never purchase a VW again. The problems I am having should be replaced - repaired at no cost because they are faulty equipment and design. Not my fault.

The only thing I like about my wagon is that it is a wagon and has heated seats. Everything else - SUCKS!

AC is not designed to cool that much space. Build a quality car - don't cut corners.

Best car I've ever owned
By joseph_s

2007 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I think the best way to start this review is with the famous saying *results may vary. I have owned my car for the past 3 years and put over 30k miles on it. In all the time I have owned this car I have only been to the dealer a few times and only for regular maintenance and recalls. I have yet to have to pay a dime out of pocket fixing it. I have also never had my check engine light come on. There are lemons out there but they are usually not hard to spot, just check the Carfax for excessive dealer visits. The car is
incredibly comfortable ride and handling are also superb. If you do your research right and check maintenance records, this car is insane value for the money. Just be careful.

Where to start. The engine (same as in the GTI), Auto hold (stops the car from rolling on hills, and lets you take your foot of the brake in stop and go traffic/ traffic lights), the body shape (just a beautiful car), and the interior quality (feels like I'm in a $40k+ luxury sedan).

I can't really think of anywhere to improve this car. For the money you can not find another car half as good as the Passat. If I had to find an area to improve, I think the transmission could shift a bit quicker. Other than that I've spent 10 minutes trying to find a fault and can't think of anything else.

Passat 2.0T #1 Lemon !!
By hamptonpassat

2007 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Wagon w/Prod. End 06/06 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

This is absolutely the worst car that I have ever owned in my 40 some years of owning cars. It has been a nightmare with breakdowns , burning up to 1 liter of oil per tank of gas . Misfiring , sending out smokescreens .No help or assistance from local VW dealers , VW corporate head office not the least bit helpful . I took care of this 2007 Passat since buying it in 2007 , the engine died at 165000kms (102000 miles) spent $5800 replacing the engine with another 2.0T from the salvage yard ,79000kms on the engine or 42000 miles . VW dealer installed it . Took delivery worked fine ,but burnt oil ,engine died the same death as the original engine 6 weeks after being installed .

Good looking car , rides good ,only problem ,can't drive it ,engine doesn't work.

VW should stand behind their product and admit they have manufactured faulty 2.0T engines and reimburse the owners of these lemon cars.

Great car with minor glitches
By ecm64

2007 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased my Passat a little over a year ago with 77k. Thought this would be a good time to review what I think of this car so far. First off, this is a great driving car. By far the most enjoyable car I have owned as far as handling, engine performance, and road manners. VW has really nailed it with the steering on this car; very precise and accurate with good road feel. Also, the 4cyl engine in this car is very smooth with lots of power on tap. No turbo lag whatsoever. As for the minor glitches; main LCD dash display is starting to fade in/out and both power window switches on the driver's door that control the back windows only work intermittently. Typical German car wiring issues.

VW needs to learn a thing or two from American and Japanese automakers regarding wiring. I've noticed VW/Audi uses thin guage wiring in their cars which is more prone to failure over time. I owned a 1987 Audi 5000 and the wiring still hasn't changed in their cars in over 20yrs.